cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

/oracle/SID/origlogA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you guide me on how to deal to such issue /oracle/SID/origlogA and /origlogB exceeds its threshold value? What do I need to do to such issue?

Hoping on your immediate response.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please change threshold of these file system to more that what you have.

Please inform to the certain team to take redo log files back up.

Regards

Sreedhar Reddy

murali_ps
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

his is due to transaction size. That is both log files are fully filled but transaction is not yet fully processed.

check in sqlplus

select * from v$log;

Will get your active log files. If all the log files in active then you may need to add two or more groups to resolve the issue.

Regards,

P.S.MURALI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello James,

there are two origlog files installed by default origlog A and origlog B.

what happens is Oracle first writes to the origlog A and then after it is filled it writes to Origlog B.In the meanwhile the files from Origlog A are written to saparch and then when Origlog B gets filled,it goes back to Origlog A

Iy would be better if you go through the following documentation at the link to have a gid knowledge of this:

http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/departments/d5/teaching/ss05/is05/oracle/server.920/a96521/onlineredo.htm

This is the concept of origlog files

Now where are you seeing that the directories are above the threshold values?

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We received tickets related with this one and I want to know what solution do we I need to do in solving this issue?

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

the solution that you can go for is to increase the directory size but I would not recommend this until:

1. you are geeting these errros very frequently

2. or you see that your SAP system performance is impacted

remember the only directory that you need to monitor is saparch as if it gets filled,it will stop your SAP

Now what I guess is since origlogA and origlogB are getting filled,thats why these alerts are coming

but this is the nature of these directories;thats way the database works

Hope it helps

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me ask you one thing, is it possible applicable to do the following commands to resolve the issue? Actually as I checked the directory both log_m1.dbf and log_m1.dbf has the highest number of space used under that directory.

sqlplus u201C/ as sysdbau201D

select * from v$log;

select * from v$logfile;

ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 11; (this depends on the name of the group).

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

ALTER DATABASE DROP LOGFILE GROUP 11;

Please: Do this only if you know what you are doing!

This might help under certain rare circumstances. But most probably it will bring down performance.

Logfile groups are there for a reason. If you don't know about it, then don't drop them!

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

And here an answer to your original problem:

What is there in /oracle/SID/origlogA and origlogB ?

In case it's only online redo log files, you may ignore the warnings. Log files will not grow. You might consider to increase their size or their number later on though.

But in case there are control files too: They may grow, and you better take care of it.

Decreasing size or number of logfile groups is often (but not always) a bad idea, for performance reasons.

So talk with your Unix sysadmin about increasing file systems.

And in any case, try to get some better understanding of Oracle concepts, for example by studying the link provided by Rohit.

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello James,

I would also suggest better ignore the errors in origlog files and only increase the size if you feel the perfomance is impacted due to this.

Let me know of any questions

Rohit

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

change threshold of these filesystem to 98%. Problem fixed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

I would NOT recommend you to delete the redo log members as they are there for the reason. By doing this you will loose redundancy. Consider the situation only redo log member get's crashed!!! You may consider this ONLY if you have more than two members in each group.

It's not clear yet why your directories are reaching to the threshold values. In my view they should be static unless you have somthing else on the same drive. Do you oraarch on the same drive?

For the performance reason it is best to keep them on the separate spindle.

Hope this helps.

Manoj