Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP XI questions

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SAP XI experts,

I have some questions regarding XI:

1. What is the communication protocols between SAP XI and Microsoft Exchange Server? Is it possible to use MAPI protocol for processing incoming emails from MS Exchange, retrieve the email via this protocol by XI and process it within XI? In case not what other protocols can be used in integration SAP XI <-> MS Exchange.

As far as I remember MAPI is a Microsoft Windows program interface that enables you to send email from within a Windows application, is it supported by SAP?

2. What are the standard encryption protocols which can be used within XI while communication between external partners.

3. Question about XI licensing, as far as I know there is special license model based on amount of transferred data. Do you have some details what are a ranges?

E.g. low level range is under 50GB in production environment, middle level... high level... etc...

Is there some special license of Integration Adapters? Are there included in common XI license?

Any input is highly appreciated,

Thanks,

m./

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sender Mail adapter supports IMAP4 and POP3 protocols.

Receiver Mail adapter supports SMTP and IMAP4 protocols.

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

What does it mean? I can't send email from XI via SMTP protocol only IMAP4 and POP3 are supported?

On other hand I can't receive email in XI via IMAP4 and POP3 only SMTP is supported?

Thanks

m./

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sender mail adapter is used to convert emails to XI messages. 'Send' here means participating system sending the email to XI. In this case, mail adapter supports IMAP4 or POP3 retrieve emails.

Receiver mail adapter is used to convert XI messages to emails. 'Receve' here means participation systems receiving the emaail from XI. SMTP and IMAP4 protocols are supported for transfering emails from XI.

In context of XI, 'Send' and 'Receive' are always used from the participating system perspective not from that of XI.

Hope its clear now.

MartinMaruskin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

When I do consider scenario that supplier sends to my SAP SRM system through SAP XI email with offers to deliver some materials for my company. This email is coming via MS Exchange email server to XI. Since XI has only IMAP4 or POP3 adapters to retrieve emails, does it mean that XI is not able to read incoming email via MS Exchange? Are there any other 3rd party adapters which can be used in this manner?

Thanks

m./

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

The XI Sender Mail Adapter only supports IMAP4 and POP3 to retrieve inbound mails. But this does not necessary mean XI is unable to read incoming mails from MS Exchange Server. I have implemented a similar scenario using XI Sender Mail adapter to retrieve inbound emails from the emails accounts in MS Exchange Server, and it works. I think as long as the MS Exchange Server talks IMAP4 or POP3, which I believe so in my case, XI mail adapter is able to retrieve the inbound mails.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Yukai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are configuring the IMAP4 for receiver mail where in our microsoft exchange server sends out mail to XI, we are not getting the correct url for our IMAP4 server.

Can some send us the format of the url of the microsoft exchange server

Thanks

Senthil

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

more on the licensing topic:

the standard license contains the technical adapters by SAP (File, JDBC, JMS etc.) and is based on throughput. If you need additional 3rd party adapters you can get them from SAP directly but under a different licensing model. As far as i know, they take a specific amount per system connected through the according adapter.

Anyway, as stated by others before, talk to your account executive. He / She will be able to tell you exactly what license fees to expect and also if your company gets some discounts etc.

Regards

Christine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo Martin-

I can only (partially) address your items 2 & 3...

2) The SAP XI RNIF (RosettaNet Implementation Framework), RNIF11, and CIDX adapters support secure and encrypted communication via HTTPS. For business-to-business (B2B) transactions in the High Tech and Chemical industries these adapters are available for use on XI 3.0.

3) All licensing issues will need to be discussed individually with an SAP Account Executive and will not likely be published by SAP on SDN. For the adapters I mentioned above (RNIF/CIDX) a license fee applies for the adapter, in addition to the integration content contained in the Business Packages for RosettaNet and CIDX. Again, you would need to contact an SAP Account Executive for details.

Hope this helps.

Regards, jg