cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD best practices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mates,

We already have SAP EP and Soln Manager and R/3, CRM etc. We are planning to install XI now.

I understand that a single SLD which is used by EP, XI and Soln manger is the recommended approach. Also, SAP recommends single SLD for DEV, QA and PRD enviroment.

Now my question is where to install & host the SLD? I see the following options

SLD + Soln Manger on same system

SLD + XI on same system

SLD on a diff system altogether

Whats the best practice and what are its pros n cons.

I highly appreciate your views.

Thanks

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sam_raju
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Refer to the <a href="https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001554662005E">Planning Guide</a> on http://service.sap.com/sld

Also, refer to the How-to Guide on <a href="http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01200252310000071155&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_OBJECT=011000358700001684302005E">How to handle SLD and XI</a>

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Sam Raju

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

EP so far uses its own proprietary System Landscape and NOT the SLD used by XI. As far as I know this comes also true for Solution Manager which again holds its own System Landscape.

The J2EE SLD used by XI is the SLD that is also used by the SAP Java Development Infrastructure.

If you do not plan to use the JDI you can use one central SLD for the XI Dev, QA and Prod - e.g. located in the (maybe HA-enabled) productive XI.

If you plan a more complex landscape it may - depending on your specific use case - the best choice to install and configure an SLD in a completely separatee J2EE Engine.

But please be careful. Although SAP documentation says that you can move/copy conent between different SLDs we have made very, very bad experiences in doing this ...

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

I appreciate your inputs.

Yes, we are planning to install JDI to use CMS for XI transports.

If EP & Soln manager have their own SLD. Do I need to sync it up with the SLD used by XI and JDI?? If yes, instead I can make EP and Soln manager use the same SLD which is used by XI & JDI. Any bottlenecks in this approach?

Regd single SLD...I see that you recommend the SLD located in productive environment. But, initially we are setting up the DEV system. So I thought I will have the SLD on DEV system. The QA and PRD enviorment which are going to be set up later will be using the SLD in DEV.

If I need to have the SLD in PRD environment, I need to set up DEV and PRD (atleast), before I start the interface development in DEV, right?

Thanks

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen!

The following is my personal opinion and maybe far away from or even contrary to any offcial statements of the Software Vendor:

If - in short- and mid-term - you plan to use SLD and transport mechanisms just and only to control and transport XI objects, you should use the export and import features of the XI. Do not implement and use the complex, administration- and learning-intensive JDI mechanisms.

Only if you plan to use this infrastructure to organize, control and transport SAP Java and/or WebDynpro for Java developments also you should implement JDI.

Thus my recommendation concerning SLD is the following:

For controlling XI parts use the SLD installed automatically when an SAP J2EE Engine (e.g. for XI) is installed.

To be more flexible install a separate J2EE Engine on the Development System (if Hardware is not the problem) and on this J2EE Engine activate the SLD. Later, when QA and PROD are available, you can move this separate installation to another hardware.

The installation sequence should be the following:

1st install and activate the SLD J2EE Engine

2nd install the XI and tell it, where the SLD is to find.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Volker