cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the ICM (Internet Communication Component) is needed when using SAP PI ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I am aware that the ICM component is needed in SAP PI for various reasons (end-2-end monitoring, GRMG, etc).

However, is that (ICM) component necessary when SAP PI need to exchange with an SAP (ECC) backend ?

Is ABAP proxy need that ICM component ?

Thank !

A+

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, an ABAP Proxy needs ICM.

Thanks,

Pooja Pandey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

All messages from various adapters which are going to the Integration Egine normally use ICM service to go to the pipeline, except for IDOC adapter which directly send the transformed XML message to the pipeline.

FYI, Integration engine is the main place (up to before integrated processing is introduced in PI 7.1) for doing message transformation and routing. Integration engine is also required for any ccBPM scenario.

Regards,

Lim...

Edited by: Ruslim Chang on Feb 26, 2009 2:30 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lim,

You are right; the adaptor framework is transmitting to/from the Integration engine (for messages processing) via the HTTP protocol.

A+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

Do you know the rational behind the fact that ICM is needed to run (and design) ABAP proxy from an ECC to PI ?

When the HTTP protocol is used ... does that mean that it is necessary goes through ICM ?

So if we send a request from ECC using ABAP proxy, it will be handle as follow: the ICM component from the ECC server will send it to the ICM component of the PI server for processing? Is this a true statement ?

Thank in advance !

A+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Quite interesting blog like to share my views and like t get info also

ICM on top of ICF is needed to communicate with Integration Server for determining logical routing and interface mapping and technical routing

Adapters do communicate with the help of ICM to IS

In Case of HTTP as there is no adapter required, will directly communice to integration Engine pipeline of Integration server

but in case ofHTTPS i think its required for communicating to IS

similarly for IDOC and proxy too applies Somebody can correct me if my understanding is different

Hope it clarifies you to some extent

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

All what you said is true .... However, i am looking for the following:

> Do you know the rational behind the fact that ICM is needed to run (and design) ABAP proxy from an ECC to PI ?

> When the HTTP protocol is used ... does that mean that it is necessary goes through ICM ?

> So if we send a request from ECC using ABAP proxy, it will be handle as follow: the ICM component from the ECC server will send it to the ICM component of the PI server for processing? Is this a true statement ?

Thank!

A+

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have stop the HTTP service (SMICM) on the ECC server and the ABAP proxy did not ran (did not reach PI), which make sens since ABAP proxies use the u201CXI protocolu201D that is HTTP based.

However u2026

We have stop the ICM (SMICM) on the ECC server and the ABAP proxy ran successfully!?! This is puzzled me u2026 I tough that HTTP request goes through the ICM layer ?

Can someone have an explanation?

Merci !

A+

Former Member
0 Kudos

May be if possible try to do the same activity for idocs too.

send an idoc to PI with out enabling ICM ,as data will be sent to Integration Engine.

after this enable idoc packaging and repeat the same thing will get to know whether communication will happens or not.

But i am not sure about these things (whether icm is used internally or not)

I am interested in your result...

Rajesh