Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space vs Star in Authorization object

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok my question is this. I from my experience it seems to very but putting (' ') or (*) in a field has the same affect does it not? I am looking at authorization object S_RFC in the RFC_NAME field.

Please let me know if I am incorrect or correct.

Kind Regards,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on whether you use the ABAP statament "FIELD" in your code and which release you are on.

In higher releases, the checks have been extended, and you can control RFC more granularly.

As others have stated already, avoid spaces. Most of the time if is a program error from having used the FIELD syntax, which then defines the DUMMY construct to a data element, and defeits it's purpose when used correctly in the coding...

Cheers,

Julius

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Ok my question is this. I from my experience it seems to very but putting (' ') or (*) in a field has the same affect does it not? I am looking at authorization object S_RFC in the RFC_NAME field.

>

> Please let me know if I am incorrect or correct.

>

> Kind Regards,

> Paul

No they are different, * = full authorization and ' ' will be the opposite. There might be rare occasion when a program will ask for a ' ' base on a security trace.

Edited by: John Navarro on Feb 25, 2009 6:24 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Ok my question is this. I from my experience it seems to very but putting (' ') or (*) in a field has the same affect does it not? I am looking at authorization object S_RFC in the RFC_NAME field.

>

> Please let me know if I am incorrect or correct.

>

> Kind Regards,

> Paul

They are not the same....* gives all the access. ' ' is more because of programmers way of design.

Go through this link ...it tells you about the single ' ' usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on whether you use the ABAP statament "FIELD" in your code and which release you are on.

In higher releases, the checks have been extended, and you can control RFC more granularly.

As others have stated already, avoid spaces. Most of the time if is a program error from having used the FIELD syntax, which then defines the DUMMY construct to a data element, and defeits it's purpose when used correctly in the coding...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your quick responce... I appreciate it. I beileve I understand better now.

Thanks again,

Paul