cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolMan 4 Installation: R3load -testconnect fails on RHEL5/Oracle 10.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Yet another question, I'm kinda frustrated 'cause I'm faced with so many errors altough I doublechecked the installation guides..

Now I'm stuck when SAPinst tries to import the ABAP scheme. The common error 12541 is stated in R3load.exe.lol, which means no listener is running. However, when I run R3load -testconnect as user ora<sid> on the commandline everything functions as expected.

I don't know which user SAPinst uses to test the connection during installation, probably <sid>adm? As <sid>adm R3load fails too. I adjusted the environment variables of <sid>adm to be exactly the same as ora<sid>.

Isn't <sid>adm not allowed to communicate with the listener? Or does SAPinst even uses another user to test the connection?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The question I have is:

Did you install the Oracle software before you start the installation using sapinst? If yes, then this was wrong.

SAPINST creates a proper environment for each ora<SID> and <SID>adm, the user <SID>adm runs the R3load as well as the system when it's started.

If you have missing environment in one of those users there went something wrong before and/or you did not install the Oracle software at the right place and using the RUNINSTALLER script in the SAP subdirectory of the instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your quick answer. I installed Oracle when SAPinst prompted for it. I installed Oracle with the Universal Installer, applied the current patchset as well as the interim patches suggest in the SAP notes, then continued installation.

I already checked the .sapenv_<SAPID>.csh, dbenv_<SAPID>.csh of both, sidadm and orasid, and both looked quite okay. Nevertheless, it seems sth. with sidadm's environment is wrong as orasid is able to connect to it, right?

thx and best regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for your quick answer. I installed Oracle when SAPinst prompted for it. I installed Oracle with the Universal Installer, applied the current patchset as well as the interim patches suggest in the SAP notes, then continued installation.

Oracle should be installed using the script RUNINSTALLER in the SAP subdirectory of the DVD (or the stage area), it should not be installed using the normal runInstaller. The script uses a response file which will configure the database properly and "activate" the features necessary and prepares the database software for further processing with sapinst (e. g. tnsnames.* etc.)

> I already checked the .sapenv_<SAPID>.csh, dbenv_<SAPID>.csh of both, sidadm and orasid, and both looked quite okay. Nevertheless, it seems sth. with sidadm's environment is wrong as orasid is able to connect to it, right?

ora<SID> doesn't load the database, it's been done by <sid>adm. If you check sapinst_dev.log you will see that a user switch is taking place.

What is the output of

R3load -testconnect I

as user <sid>adm?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

Damn f***, I really used the runInstaller-Script instead of RUNINSTALLER and I wondered about the bunch of problems occuring. Nevertheless SAPinst loaded and initializied the database correctly up to this point. Damn ****.

Thanks anyway, my stupid fault..

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Damn f***, I really used the runInstaller-Script instead of RUNINSTALLER and I wondered about the bunch of problems occuring. Nevertheless SAPinst loaded and initializied the database correctly up to this point. Damn ****.

You can try to adapt the environment but to be on the safe side I'd start from scratch if I were you.

> Thanks anyway, my stupid fault..

Not stupid but you just missed that point in the installation guide... no disgrace...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I already prepared everything to start from scratch again.

Yeah, seems really I missed that "little" point. Not that intuitive to name the script RUNINSTALLER, just differs by case. Anyway, back to the start.

Thanks again!

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I already prepared everything to start from scratch again.

Good!

> Yeah, seems really I missed that "little" point. Not that intuitive to name the script RUNINSTALLER, just differs by case. Anyway, back to the start.

If you check the popup in sapinst when you're requested to install the database software, it's also in capitals there

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fortunately I'm just a student here and this is kinda R&E-Project..