cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is system copy an idle choice for my scenario ? please suggest me

Former Member
0 Kudos

we are using ECC6.0 . our kernel , support packages are very old (2 .5 years back patches ) we don't have test /sandbox system . ours is a 3 system landscape . When the topic of upgrdation started , my suggestion is to add a sandbox to the existing landscape . my idea is , - Making a System copy from production to sandbox -so that i can upgrade each component in sandbox first , i can see the impact and knew the problems that would occur , which would make it easy while upgrdaing the production . is this idea good and correct ? please comment me based on your experiences ... in that case if i am going for a system copy then , - will i get all the clients in the production (or) is there any choice of selecting one client -can users use the production server during the system copy waiting for your suggestions and ideas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

do we need to have a same hardware resource for both source and target in system copy ?

we are running on IBM p-series . PRD has 4CPU(1 TB) and 16 GB RAM .

Our database monthly growth is 35GB .

we have planned for the SANdbox with capacity of 1 cpu [200 GB] and 4 GB RAM

in the above case can i still make a system copy ?

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> do we need to have a same hardware resource for both source and target in system copy ?

>

> we are running on IBM p-series . PRD has 4CPU(1 TB) and 16 GB RAM .

>

> Our database monthly growth is 35GB .

>

> we have planned for the SANdbox with capacity of 1 cpu [200 GB] and 4 GB RAM

>

>

> in the above case can i still make a system copy ?

You need the 1TB space for System Copy, becuase in system copy there is not any option for selective data copy, and 1 CPU amd 4 gb Ram that means the data copy process will take so much time and probably not possible, we have the same scenario and but we have 4cpu and 4 Gb of Ram and it took around 20 hours to restore the 1TB data into sandbox system.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>we have planned for the SANdbox with capacity of 1 cpu 200 GB and 4 GB RAM

4 GB RAM is much too small for ECC6. Put the same amount of RAM as your Production serve to be able to know the effects of your upgrades.

1 CPU : If it's not at least a 4 cores CPU, forget it and add cpus !

You need at least 4 cpu cores : so 4 cpus with 1 core each, or 2 cpus with 2 cores each, or 1 cpu with 4 cores.

My advice : don't be cheap with hardware for SAP softwares. Hardware may be expensive in the absolute way but compared to the TCO of SAP products, it's nothing. If your systems are so slow that you pay expensive consultants to wait for the machine, it's a bad idea !

Regards,

Olivier

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Susin,

As per myself, your idea about testing on SAND Box is good.

System copy means all the clients in production system will come.

As system copy is done using PRD offline backup or Consistent Online backup(OFFline + Archives) which are always taken regularly...you implement those on SAND Box.Wont be affected on the actual PRD system.

But before proceeding i request you to get full details about how to do System Copy and its Procedures. You need to follow some procedures to do like creating controlfile,etc

Regards,

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

When i saw the docs and procedures i feel the process of system copy is very tedious .

or else can i go for a system put OS , DB , install ECC6.0 and then copy the production client to that and then adding the system to the landscape through STMS .

even in the above case can i predict the exact affect of support package upgrdation ?

which of the two method either system copy (or) developing the system from scratch would do better ?

which is a wiser idea ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Using a sandbox for testing an upgrade is always a good thing.

The process for a systemcopy is not so complicated. There are many links and doucments in SDN and SMP, a quick search especially in SDN will reveal many of them.

To the question about client copy or system copy. I'd choose system copy, because then i can be absolutely sure, that everything is in the sandbox. I've never used client copy to build a sandbox. Maybe other people have good experiences with client copy for that purpose. Personally, i know nobody who did that.