cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials(BOM Article) - Logistic Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My company is a retail company and 1 of its categories is furniture.

The problem I am facing is when I order a furniture set from the vendor, it is delivered to me under a single article code. Now during delivery to the customer, when the pick list/outbound delivery is generated, the warehouse handler sometimes misses out on delivering all the components of the furniture set since they are kept separately in the warehouse due to space constraints.

Hence we decided to use the concept of Bill of Materials(BOM).

Here we would use the parent code for purchasing process but for the logistic process we would need to introduce a parent-child relationship for better tracking i.e. the parent article would explode into child articles during the inbound & outbound process.

Hence we went forward and created a BOM article However I am facing the following issues.

I have created 3 standard articles using MM41. After Creating 3 articles say A,B & C.

I then create BOM article using CS01. Suppose I create 'A' as the BOM article and BOM usage as '5' i.e. in Sales & Distribution. I assign 'B' & 'C' as child articles of 'A'.

Such that ,

1 quantity of 'A' has 1 quantity of 'B' & 3 quantity of 'C'.

The article is created successfully.

However when I raise a PO at the parent article level, the BOM article does not explode into components or child articles.

Similarly during the inbound & outbound process in the warehouse, I am unable to explode articles.

Also during goods receipt in the store , the BOM article does not explode.

Hence I wanted to know if there is any configuration setting I need to change or if any one can suggest an alternative method through which I can handle this problem.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As for your procurement process, you should use strucured article scenario. Using it you could receive the goods under one article number and split it into components:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/2b/b03886df3611d1953b00a0c930e0da/frameset.htm

As for sales process, please check SAP online help about order BOM:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/f6/089036e1e4b603e10000009b38f889/frameset.htm

Regards,

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With BOM usage = 5, that means BOM explosion will only happen during Sales Order creation and will not do the explosion for Purchase Order.

cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are absolutely right on that....however I want the BOM article to explode during the entire warehouse process. i.e. from inbound delivery to stock maintained at warehouse level and outbound delivery process.

Edited by: RAKESH KUMAR on Feb 25, 2009 9:43 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since your warehouse kept the material separately, it's better to create a purchase order and goods receipt on components level. (eg. input article B & C in purchase order document).

BOM master with header article A (usage = '5') is still required for Sales Order or outbound delivery processing.

In Sales Order, user only need to enter BOM parent (article A) and the components (article B & C) will be exploded, followed by outbound delivery creation with these 3 article. So that your warehouse people will delivering the whole set of articles.

Hope this help.

cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I raised the PO on components

Inwarded the goods at component level.

However I am not able to outward the same on parent article.

Hence I am not able to process on sales order process since the stock of Parent article in the warehouse is 0.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You don't need to have a stock for Parent article, because you're delivering components to customers.

That's means inventory movement only happen to components and nothing will happen to Parent.

During the Sales Order creation, just assign schedule line categories "CT" (No inv mgmt ~ leave movement type & atp blank) to Parent item and assign schedule line categories "CP" to BOM components items.

cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

The suggestion given by you is quite valid.

However, the purpose for this configuration is that I should see my parent & child articles while creating a pick list from my warehouse.

We do not sell from our warehouse. Hence sales order generation is out of question.

We do a stock transfer to the store.

Hence while outwarding goods, the pick list generated should show both parent & child components.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The BOM articles that you have entered in the Sales Order will be carried over to Delivery Order -> Picking -> PGI -> Billing.

So, you can print out both parent & components articles in your picking list form.

cheers,