cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing files stored in Common Server and share drive with SAP DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DMS Gurus,

We have a requirement, apart from retreving the data from content server storage, the client also wants the documents stored in common file server and Share drive also to be accessed through DMS,

1) one option for this may be upload all the documents in the existing servers to DMS Content servers to get the full funtionality of DMS i'm i right? please suggest.

here again they have lacs of document so this may not be a ideal solution, now 2nd option is

2) create a data carrier and Mount points with the existing server if i'm right, but by just doing this what funtionalities will this provide

i have a preassumption that this existing common server can be used as a storage area for DMS (as vault or common server), but only those documents which are stored in to this common server or shared folder through DMS can be retrived by DMS., again i'm i right?

but how can we access all the lacs of file which are already existing there for years.

how can we see all the documents in SAP DMS which are stored earlier in this common server before DMS,

is migrating all the necessary preexisting documents to SAP DMS the only Solution for this.

any solution for this please suggest.

Points sure for any clarification given

Thanks and Regards

Priya S

Edited by: Priya S on Feb 25, 2009 3:36 AM

Edited by: Priya S on Feb 25, 2009 3:36 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem stated by you can be seamlessly solved by using SAP KM + Trex solution. If you have a enterprise portal + trex installed, then this is the best way forward.

Regards,

Vidit

Former Member
0 Kudos

The idea of a Document Management System is that you have all documents in one place. My recommendation would be to migrate the old documents into the new content server. I know that SEAL system has a solution for mass import of document. Maybe that would make the import work less painful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone thanks for your responses,

Sorry for late response, the volume of data currently used is very high around 20 lac+ documents and they are alredy using Lotus Data Base, and Share drive server for maintaining there documents.

not all will be moved to DMS, now the difficult question is in future which documents to be maintained in DMS as we are implementing SAP, as explained earlier we have to predefine which documents will be searched in which repository ( weather in DMS or there own system Database, which is confusing)

Yes we do have Entrprise Portal 7.0 and Trex installed for EP, and as suggested by vidut,

can we have a combined search from Portal so it checks all these repositories (DMS and Share drive,)for finding the document

will a single Trex will do the search in all these areas to find the document, please suggest

Points awaiting

Thanks and regards

Priya S

Edited by: Priya S on Apr 1, 2009 6:21 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

I would suggest using just the links if due to some reasons you are not able to migrate them.

The easiest solution would be... open the file in from the server and don't checkin the file.

For example you have the original files on shared drive

X:\Shared\Common\Store1\Document.doc

Go to CV01N, CV02N..browse the file Document.doc thru' the file browser and do not check that file in.

In this case Security, Text search etc features provided by SAP cannot be used.

And the security of the files need to be maintained externally. If user is accessing the file from SAP transaction installed on windows s/he needs to have access to that shared folder thru' windows...

Thanks & Regards

Abhishek

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Priya

This is an old thread but nevertheless would like to give some inputs.

your point .. common file server and Share drive also to be accessed through DMS,

1) one option for this may be upload all the documents in the existing servers to DMS Content servers to get the full funtionality of DMS.

<The option 1 is an ideal option as in future u would one day need to migarate the documents if u intend to use SAP DMS as the DMS system in ur org>

Alternatively if the documents would still need to be retained in the file server but also would need to associate to SAP business objects u could use the Define data carrier external DMS.

This again depend on what kind of documents are stored in the file server & are they relevant to be associated to SAP objects/ Transactions.

The point here is u still want to use SAP DMS to view the file , all though there are other option as Archive link, Service for objects etc. Using SAP DMS option will still call for creating DIR in SAP & assigning the file path hyper link using LSMW /upload prog.

So as for a temp sol till u clean up the file server u can use the hyperlink and later migrate to Content server.

Regards

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) one option for this may be upload all the documents in the existing servers to DMS Content servers to get the full funtionality of DMS i'm i right? please suggest

here again they have lacs of document so this may not be a ideal solution -

You can store hundreds of documents in content server. probably this would be a better option as sap recommends content server option more than vault.

2) 2) create a data carrier and Mount points with the existing server if i'm right, but by just doing this what funtionalities will this provide

i have a preassumption that this existing common server can be used as a storage area for DMS (as vault or common server), but only those documents which are stored in to this common server or shared folder through DMS can be retrived by DMS., again i'm i right?

The mount point have issues like slower retrieval of files. You can store only 2 files per DIR. You may would like to try DVA - vault which is better than mount point.

Since lacs of file are to be stored, it is possible that hundreds of files may not be accessed by users for many months at all hence you may think of DMS + archive solution - use data carrier type archive.

Anirudh,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Anirudh,

Thanks for your Promt reply, it has definitely given some ray of hope.

here again i have put some question marks asking weather my understanding are correct, iam still not sure weather my understanding is correct.

1) Like if at all i want to access any document which is existing in the present system (common shared drive, or common server) can we view this files in SAP DMS transactions in any ways.

or only those files which are stored or migrated to SAP DMS only are accessible through DMS transactions.

if we suggest the client to retain the existing system and then migrate few important document to SAP DMS, then storing the same document in both common drive and DMS content server would lead to duplication and irregularities.

so can we make a repository in the existing server to store files through DMS, so in this case any file which is stored in this repository will it be accessible with out sap logon also, please let me know how best it can be done.

like let me Know can any existing system can be configured as DVA Vault, and how it works, if this can help people access the file both with SAP logon and also remotely from there system.

Thanks and Regards

Priya S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Only the files stored/migrated to SAP DMS are accessible thru DMS transactions.

like let me Know can any existing system can be configured as DVA Vault

- possible provided it meets all the hardware,O/S, network requirements.

The vault data can be only accessible thru sap.

Could you please tell us what is the size of current document data you have.

What are your typical documents stored on network drive?

Anirudh,