cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Shutdown Necessary During Oracle Backup via BRBACKUP ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it necessary to shutdown SAP before backing up the Oracle database via BRBACKUP ?

The BRBACKUP will run cold db backup.

What's the windows script to shutdown & startup SAP v6 ?

TIA !

DL

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good response ! Thanks !

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you want cold backup to be done on your database ....your instance needs to be shutdown first.

Set backup type as OFFLINE_FORCE while performing backup through BRTOOLS.(So that the instance gets down)

Or

Since its windows you can stop and start SAP Instance through SAP MMC

Regards,

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My question is during the offline backup via BRTOOLS, do I need to shut down the SAP services first ?

And can SAP services be shutdown via windows scripts instead of MMC ?

Thanks !

DL

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you need to shutdown the SAP Instance...

As i already mentioned above you can use BACKUP TYPE as OFFLINE_FORCE while setting backup in BRTOOLS. This automatically shutdowns the SAP Instance by BRTOOLS itself.

If the BACKUP TYPE is not set to OFFLINE_FORCE you need to shut the instance down manually.

Regards,

Kalyan

Former Member
0 Kudos
is during the offline backup via BRTOOLS, do I need to shut down the SAP services first

No, if you configure correctly your initSID.sap , you no need to do any manual step ...

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can shutdown oracle and make a backup without stopping sap. In the syslog will be many messages like 'Workprocess in reconnect status'. Of course you cannot do anything in sap during the backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Desmond,

That is depends upon the backup type you are selecting.

If you are going to take a cold backup brbackup will shutdowns the database and takes backup.

If you are going for a online backup it will take backup without sutting down database.

And here no need to shutdown database manually, brbackup shutdowns database and takes backup.

I didn't understand your second query, what is the script?

Regards

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I'm actually referring to the shutdown of SAP services during database offline backup via BRBACKUP.

Second query is referring to the commands to shutdown SAP services via windows scripts, instead of shutting the SAP services via mmc.

Thanks !

DL

former_member603052
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lim,

In Windows from command prompt also you can shutdown SAP Instance.

Login with sidadm and from command prompt type the below ....

C:\Documents and Settings\sidadm>stopsap name=<SID> nr=<SYSNR> SAPDIAHOST=<hostname>

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Kalyan