Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple countries live in SAP, system logon in English...

adrian_welsh
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We currently have an MDMP R/3 system that has been configured to allow users to logon in RU (amongst other CEE countries) so they can enter data in Russian, but the system remains in English. We have achieved this without actually installing the full languages.

Now we are upgrading to ECC6.0 and we have a new country that wishes to go-live within the new system, is there a new way of achieving this same goal, that is, allowing the new users from the new country to enter data in local language whilst still having the system in English. I believe native Unicode will allow this for simple data entry, but the problem I foresee is that we will need to maintain certain master data in local language (for example GL Account Descriptions and Cost Centre descriptions), Ibelieve for some Master Data, for example Cost Centres, we canu2019t maintain these descriptions while logged in with language u2018ENu2019. If we entered the new country description while logged in with language u2018ENu2019, it would overwrite the English description. You need to log in with new language, and then enter the new description - not possible without a full install.

Also we have sapscript outputs maintained in local language, don't we need the language installed to achieve this?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ade

1 REPLY 1

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ade,

as you already wrote, Unicode will allow users to insert data from any country independently of the logon language. Therefore from this technical perspective, the logon language is not relevant anymore (in contrast to MDMP, where it is mandatory to use the correct logon language).

However from a standard perspective, the SAP system is designed for logon with the correct language (in Unicode and in Non-Unicode). This can be seen in some customizing areas (where in fact the logon language is taken automatically) as well as in the area of smart forms, which uses the logon language.

There is no significant difference between e.g 4.6C and ECC 6.0 regarding this specific area.

However as far as I know there are some customers who manage to use EN as logon language for e.g. Scandinavian Users. But I do not have details how they manage the mentioned areas.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Solution Management

Globalization Services

SAP AG