cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on Scenario Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear PS Experts & Gurus,

My client, scenario is somewhat like this ...

They are into I&C of telecom equipments. They have standard BOM and activities for each installation. They get an order (contract) of say 100 installations from a big client in 1 PO over the duration of 1 year. The exact sites and time for 100 nos is not mentioned in the PO.

I am using PS module for the same. I intend to create one project for each contract (standard project structure to process one equipment I&C as a template).

I want to create standard project structure (WBSE, Network, Activities, Materials and milestones...all under one WBS Element).

As and when PO comes and contract made in SD module, I will create operative PD and header WBS element for that contract in PS.

Now whenever during one year they get an intimation / request from client to install 1 equipment amongst the 100 at one site, I will copy standar structure (WBS and Network) into operative project and process the same for one equipment delivery. I will carry on this till completion of 100 equipment I&C.

In short,

My project will be purely dynamic in nature. For 100 I&Cs I will make 100 WBS elements under header WBS element.

I will not make 100 WBS at first instance.

I will keep on adding the same as and when intimation comes from customer i.e each WBS element will be as like a small project. This will be controlled separately and no relation with any other WBS element.

For each equipment, separate WBS element will be made and separate SO will be made with reference to contract. Each WBS will carry child WBSE, activities, milestones and material BOM. Milestones will get copied into SO made wrt contract for advance and final payment.

Now looking at the scenario I want your valuable inputs ...

First of all am I doing the right thing???

Is there any better way to process the above mentioned scenario through PS module.

Are you forseeing any potential problem in doing so???

Your valuable inputs will be surely helpful to me for accurately mapping this business scenario in SAP PS system.

Awaiting for lot of responses and suggestions.

Thanks and Regards

Parimal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parimal

The overall idea is good.

However, the only problem I can see is that handling 100 WBS elements seperately under one project may be difficult. As these WBS in itself is like a project with a number of child WBS elements and activities.

Probably you may divide the overall project into may be Region wise, Installation wise, period wise or any other group having may be not more than 20/ 25 WBS elements (Installations). This way it would be easy to handle the data and reporting during execution.

Venu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Your scenario should work. I do not forsee any trouble. But yes I feel things can be much simpler.

Have you considered the option of having more than one equipments targeted for installation in a single site? Also there might be cases where the installations maybe handled by the same subcontractor in a single PO.

Having 100 different networks in my experience is not exactly necessary. Since it is just a Engineering & Construction project I believe the you can manage the same with a single network or multiple but is 100 necessary? Multiple networks are necessary only where you feel all the installations will be mutually exclusive. But as I said this is just an option. If you need a totally different scheduling pattern and costing pattern your way of doing things is okay.

Well another aspect is the project team cost. As I mentioned earlier you might have the same project team working for multiple subprojects. In such a case all exclusive subprojects might be a small concern so you might have to add a new WBS element to control the overhead cost.

Settlement, RA and analysis should not be an issue.

Reports might be complex with so many networks and activities. As the activities will be cross numbered identification will have to be through descriptions so this has to be emphasized.

Hope these inputs have been of some use

Regards

Renjith