cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Has anyone come across any case studies to indicate that support pack 18 causes any hardware issues i.e. memory issues or CPU load. We are running SolMan 7 on Solaris 9 with Oracle 10 at SP15. We are currently trying to evaluate if our current hardware hosting SolMan needs upgrading to support SP18.

Regards,

Mandeep

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have never heard, that an APPLICATION on top of an operating system can cause any hardware "issues". Memory consumption can be higher for SP18 (which includes Enhancement pack 1 for Netweaver) but those should be really marginal.

Where did you get that information from?

Markkus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its project managers asking silly questions. I know the minimum memory required by SolMan but the basis is that the customer is not going to use all the features on SolMan, only EWA and Solution monitoring, Maint Opz and possibly ChaRM in the near future. Currently it is running on 4Gb of memory with 2 CPU's, as a trail system.

Edited by: Mani on Feb 24, 2009 3:49 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Its project managers asking silly questions.

Always those project managers...

> I know the minimum memory required by SolMan but the basis is that the customer is not going to use all the features on SolMan, only EWA and Solution monitoring, Maint Opz and possibly ChaRM in the near future. Currently it is running on 4Gb of memory with 2 CPU's, as a trail system.

4 GB is VERY few memory.

SolMan 7.0 is a combined ABAP and Java instance. On 64bit platforms (which you use) the Java heap is defined to 2 GB (+ java dispatcher + SDM). The ABAP instance tries to allocate half of the system memory by default if you don't change it plus you have a database running in on the system which also needs memory/cache. Even if you now don't use the Java part it will be started and consume the resources.

This thump-sizing is SP independent (so SP15 as well as higher SPs).

I wouldn't go below 6 GB (2 GB database, roughly 2 GB Java and the rest for ABAP) if you really wanna work with the system. Otherwise the OS will be mainly occupied with swapping in and out...

Markus

Answers (0)