cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPOSCOL is not running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

we have installed BI and SRM Development servers on the same host. OS is AIX and Database is DB2. saposcol information is:

This is Saposcol Version COLL 20.95 700 - AIX v11.00 5L-64 bit 070920

Usage: saposcol -l: Start OS Collector

saposcol -k: Stop OS Collector

saposcol -d: OS Collector Dialog Mode

saposcol -s: OS Collector Status

The OS Collector (PID 970792) is already running .....

when I check the SAP OS collector staus from SAP level using OS06 it is showing that collector is running.

when I login to OS level with <sid>adm, and issued the command saposcol -s. it its showing one process id and status is "running". I tried to stop the collector using saposcol -k. i am getting the following:

-

Setting Stop Flag :

09:37:52 24.02.2009 LOG: ==== Stop Flag was set by saposcol (kill_collector()).

09:37:52 24.02.2009 LOG: ==== The collection process will stop as soon as possible

can't kill process 970792.

kill: No such process

ERROR:No reaction from collecting process 970792.

Please kill collecting process.

-

when I tried to kill the process using kill -9 970792. i am getting the following:

970792: The process does not exist.

please help me how to start the collector again. (please do not ask me to upgrade the saposcol version as it is opposed by team)

Thanks in advance

mohan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Mohan,

did u try starting saposcol with saposcol -l

if yes what error does it give to u,if no then try u will be able to start for sure

Also check the permissions of saposcol

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i tried to restart using saposcol -l

I am getting hte below:

-l

• This is Saposcol Version COLL 20.95 700 - AIX v11.15 5L-64 bit 080317

• Usage: saposcol -l: Start OS Collector

• saposcol -k: Stop OS Collector

• saposcol -d: OS Collector Dialog Mode

• saposcol -s: OS Collector Status

• The OS Collector (PID 970792) is already running .....

-

I logged in with root user and checked the list of processes but i was unable to find the PID 970792

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mohan,

I just found something which might help you

just check this out

"The Profile Parameter exe/saposcol

The SAP profile parameter exe/saposcol (which is not a SAPOSCOL profile parameter) contains the complete name of the program SAPOSCOL (which should not be confused with the SAPOSCOL working directory). To start or stop SAPOSCOL, or to display its status from the SAP system or with a CCMS agent, the parameter must point to a correctly installed SAPOSCOL.

If multiple SAP instances are running on a host, for example, each with a different SAP Basis release, ensure that each instance uses the same (newest) version of SAPOSCOL.

For ex:The system XYZ and the system C11 have different SAP Basis releases, and both systems are on the same host. The profile parameter exe/saposcol should point to the same, current SAPOSCOL in both systems. Ensure that you set the authorizations so that the SAPOSCOL directory can be accessed by both systems, so that SAPOSCOL can be started by both systems. However, only one SAPOSCOL runs for each host at any one time"

Hope it helps

Rohit

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

saposcol -d ( use this )

then first stop the collector by kill

then delete the shared memory by leave

then initialize the shared memory by clean

then start the collector by launch

then check the status by stat

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this

Note 548699 - FAQ: OS collector SAPOSCOL

6. Question: How do I stop saposcol if standard commands (points 2

and 3) do not work (Unix)?

Answer: Sometimes it may be impossible to stop saposcol either by u201Csaposcol -du201D --> kill or by u201Csaposcol -ku201D. The system produces messages similar to:

can't kill process 34570.

kill: No such process

ERROR:No reaction from collecting process 34570!

Please kill collecting process.

Although no process with PID 34570 exists, the output of command u201Csaposcol -su201D shows that saposcol is running and shared memory is attached. In this case, you can execute command: "cleanipc 99 remove".

If this does not work either, it is possible to stop the collector running by removing the shared memory key of saposcol.

7. Question: How do I remove the shared memory key of saposcol?

Answer: Sometimes it may be necessary to remove the shared memory key of saposcol (see point 6).

Caution: Please be very careful! This procedure should be performed only after checking that saposcol is really not running (see point 4)

and only in cases when other options (see point 6) really do not work!

For this, execute command u201Cipcs -mau201D and note the line that contains saposcol key u201C4dbeu201D. You need the shared memory ID. After that, execute command

ipcrm -m ID

Now the command u201Csaposcol -su201D should show that saposcol is not running and that the shared memory is not attached. The shared memory key will be created automatically by the saposcol when the collector is next started: u201Csaposcol -lu201D

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Srinivas,

Question no.7 in given SAP Note 548699.... solved my problem.

full points awarded.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

to start the OS collector SAPOSCOL -l

but i think there must be two OS collector running in your server for two different system, have you checked the same, just login from root and check the PID of oscollector then make sure and kill them manually from root and then start the same via <sidadm>

Regards,

Subhash