cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which database to use for a WebDynpro general purpose application?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have custom development on SAP side (abap development) and we have many legacy applications in our company. We are starting an effort to use WebDynpro as much as possible to develop user interfaces for new applications, specially for extranet users.

The question we are discussing here is: suppose we will develop a new application, with no need of SAP integration, using WebDynpro to design the user interfaces, what would be better for the database model: create Z* tables on SAP or create a new database directly into Oracle?

Thanks for your insights.

Regards.

roberti

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sanyev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roberti,

If you have a choice of your database then I would recommend Z* tables in SAP database over Oracle. Webdynpro provides better connectivity to SAP backend. Integration to SAP in the future will also be easy in case of Z* tables.

Unless you plan to use extensive stored procedures and Oracle specific operations Z* tables will be a better choice. Same technology integrate efficiently.

Regards,

Sanyev

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

create Z* tables on SAP or create a new database directly into Oracle?

Both have its own pros and cons

When it comes to SAP Z* Tables later on you can port your application to different DB with out much rework.

Regards

Ayyapparaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you friends for your help.

I would like to ask you what you mean with "better connectivity"? I think that to connect to a database it would be necessary just a JDBC connection (for Oracle) or a JCO connection (for Abap). Is there any other difference?

Thanks!

roberti

sanyev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Roberti,

In future you could see lot of improvement in the connectivity between the Webdynpro layer and the ABAP layer. Possibly a framework in between to manage the connection making it more efficient.

Regards,

Sanyev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!

roberti

former_member197348
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roberti,

I just want to bring some points to your notice. If you use SAP R/3 as backend, then

1. Easy for development

2. Easy to debug

3. Easy for transport, and finally

4. Easy connectivity

Regard,

Siva