Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TABLE JOIN USE?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is the real use of Table join?

Does it eliminate the redundant data by joining the fields. I was experimenting CASE_STUDY from MDM100 on Products and Divisions table.

I joined the Products and Divisions by field Division

I imported all the data in to Divisions and expecting thay will not ask for value mapping during Products table data import.

But interestinly it was asking me for value mapping. Then what is use of having a join.

Scenario based explaination will clear by doubt. If possible please give me .a2a file to work out with this. of course simulation will be great help.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member208981
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer the below:

Say you have 2 sources and they have a common field. The requirement is to have a single source based on the common field which acts as a key field here. Based on that field the 2 sources are merged in a single source in importmanager.

You can the use this new source further as your "Source" in Import manager.

Please refer the below. In this article, you can see the use of Join concept :

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90e42521-0645-2b10-d1b2-e9f6fab3...

Article on Join:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/1012f58f-a6e6-2a10-7caf-a46b7ad0...

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Priti.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friend,

MDM table joins is a feature provided by SAP in the tool to use it whenever needed to deal with such typical source that needs joins between them.

The concept of joins is traditional but its use in MDM is slightly different.

When we join two tables which have different data but joined by a common field.You need to lookup the fields of the joined table with the main table so that a new source is created with all the fields from both the tables. and then you can use this new virtual source for mapping all your fields in one go.

Use of Joins:

- MDM source importing in import manager happens by selecting a source items (Source table) and a destination item(Destination table).At a time you can select on one source and one destination.The problem arises when you have your source data distributed in 2 files (Say for eg in 2 excel sheets of the same excel file) you can import this data together only if you join the 2 table(in thsi case 3 excel sheets)

- One real time example of joinig is when you are dealing with XML.You often need to map all your main table fields at one go in teh products table however in the XML source they are present in differnt segments and so act as differnt source.Here we need to join them to teh main segment so that they appear under one source for mapping.

A simple yet useful example is provided in the help guide it self.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/43/12036df94c3e92e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

(Import manager>Tables joins &lookups >Overview>Multiple tables of source data)

Hope It Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The basic purpose of a join is to join two source files (or segments) with the help of a common field.

For eg. You have a source file A that has Material Id and Description.

Whereas the second file source B is having Material Id, Material Category and Material Type as fields.

You make a join between the two sources via the common filed material id.

This will create a new virtual source which will be having all the fields.

But after creating the join, you need to look up the values of the other source to include them.

Like for in eg in this case need to look up values materail group and material type of source B to source A.This will help you to to reduce the no. of imports to get the data imported into MDM.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Minaz

Edited by: Minaz Kathawala on Feb 24, 2009 4:38 AM