Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table or Transaction for Transaction to Table Relationship

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need an easier way to find out u201Ctableu201D to u201Ctransactionu201D relationship or vice versa. I need an alternative to running the transaction hitting F1 then the technical information button then finally the Table Name information displayed in the Field Data.

I will take either a SE16 table or a transaction.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

In higher releases this is governed by the package concept (SE11...)

If what you are refering to is that you are not authorized for transaction SE80 but can submit some reports or use SE16... then in that case I would recommend requesting the correct access for SE80 to be able to use the F1 navigation from the transaction itself.

If you are refering to views, then TSTCP will help you further to find the parameter transactions of the table maintenance generators (SM30) and views (SM31).

If you want to do this programmatically in a scalable way, then knowing more about the requirement would be usefull.

Cheers,

Julius

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

In higher releases this is governed by the package concept (SE11...)

If what you are refering to is that you are not authorized for transaction SE80 but can submit some reports or use SE16... then in that case I would recommend requesting the correct access for SE80 to be able to use the F1 navigation from the transaction itself.

If you are refering to views, then TSTCP will help you further to find the parameter transactions of the table maintenance generators (SM30) and views (SM31).

If you want to do this programmatically in a scalable way, then knowing more about the requirement would be usefull.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> In higher releases this is governed by the package concept (SE11...)

>

> If what you are refering to is that you are not authorized for transaction SE80 but can submit some reports or use SE16... then in that case I would recommend requesting the correct access for SE80 to be able to use the F1 navigation from the transaction itself.

>

> Julius

Julius,

I'm authorized but just lazy. I have about 50+ transactions that I need to find tables for. Doing it one at a time is a downer specially on Fridays

Thanks,

-John N.

0 Kudos

> I'm authorized but just lazy.

Working as designed for a programmer...

> I have about 50+ transactions that I need to find tables for.

Which type of transactions are these?

Views? Transactional data processing? Custom transactions?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius,

It's a mix bag of transactions from custom tcodes to delivered. I can eventually get the table but the process is too long. I usually don't mind if there are less than ten.

I don't want to go off topic but my ultimate goal is to classify all the tables we are using by areas and data sensitivity on all the security roles. That means no * or &NC& for S_TABU_DIS. I need authorization groups in S_TABU_DIS on all roles. I got a list of all the tcodes associated to S_TABU_DIS on all our roles.

This is not ur~gent, if a transaction or table can make my life easier, I'll take it.

Thanks.

Edited by: John Navarro on Feb 20, 2009 11:32 PM

It took me several minutes to post - it does not want me to post the word "ur~gent"

Edited by: John Navarro on Feb 20, 2009 11:33 PM

0 Kudos

It took me several minutes to post - it does not want me to post the word "ur~gent"

Yes, the content filters don't recognize the pattern "not" together with "ürgént". The latter has been the problem in some forums.

That means no * or &NC& for S_TABU_DIS. I need authorization groups in S_TABU_DIS on all roles. I got a list of all the tcodes associated to S_TABU_DIS on all our roles.

Without knowing your config, it is hard to comment. But based on the above, go for TSTCP and what SAP delivers for you + what you maintain yourself in SU24.

That data needs to be maintained during development and config, to be able to be used again (easily). It is not just documentation "for the fun of it"...

If you do not have this, then programmatic means are possible (scanning, tracing, logging, reverse engineering..), but they have their limitations.

Discipline from the developers and customizers is the best way, if they are worth their money and skills.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Julius,

TSTCP did the trick. Sorry I did not pay attention closely enough on the parameters field the first time I run the query from your original post. I made the mistake of selecting a tcode with a long parameters.

>

> Discipline from the developers and customizers is the best way, if they are worth their money and skills.

>

I agree 100%. We had many developers and configurators that touched our system some have better discipline than others.

Thanks and TGIF.

0 Kudos

I am a bit disappointed that you found TSTCP to fullfill your requirement so early on in the thread, but it is also getting late here on my end of the pond so perhaps it is a good thing.

> It's a mix bag of transactions from custom tcodes to delivered.

Perhaps you also want to look into the term "current settings"...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> I am a bit disappointed that you found TSTCP to fullfill your requirement so early on in the thread, but it is also getting late here on my end of the pond so perhaps it is a good thing.

>

> Julius

Well beggars can't be choosers. It's not prefect but on most transactions it worked out OK.

An exception in TSTCP is FMDERIVE for example.

The Output from the SE16 query from TSTCP = FMDERIVE /*SM34 VCLDIR-VCLNAME=VC_FMTABADRHFMOA;UPDATE=X;VIMDYNFLDS-LTD_DTA_AR=;UPDATE_LTD=;

The relevant table for FMDERIVE I'm looking for is V_FMTABADRH. You don't get an exact match on "V_FMTABADRH" in TSTCP in this case.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos

Yes, there are a number of exceptions as the view names and cluster views do not have to match the table names (assuming tables..). You can use wildcards to help a bit.

You can use the Data Dictionary functions instead of an expected SAP table field from an table data browser as well. You will be better off sticking to SM31 coding in my opinion, but in higher releases take a look at this thread:

[Perhaps we were lost in the trees (and tables) and did not see the whole forest|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/post!reply.jspa?messageID=4673108]

Cheers,

Julius