cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Partner Determination Steps for Customer Master" clarification

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me clear myself at the outset itself, that I searched SDN for my below mentioned query, however I could not find any answer to my satisfaction....here I am posting again

In "Partner Determination for Customer Master", the following steps are undertaken -

Step 1:

1.a.) Create New Partner Determination Procedure

1.b.) For each Partner Determination Procedure, different Partner Functions, which are applicable for that specific determination procedure, are assigned. (along with other properties like if the PF is mandatory, not modifiable )

Step2:

"Partner Determination Procedure Assignment", here we assign different Partner Determination Procedure to different Account Groups. In other words, indirectly, we assign the partner functions to account groups. Right? (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Step3:

"Partner Function". Here we define new partner functions, (which are used in Step 1...)

Step4:

"Account Group- Function Assignment" - Here we assign the Partner Functions to Account Groups

Now My Question

(A) Since the Partner Functions are assigned (via partner determination procedure) to account groups in Step 1, then why Partner Functions are assigned AGAIN to account groups in Step 4. What is the significance of this assignment in Step 4.

(B) Is there is particular sequence of Steps (1 to 5), one should follow when somebody has to create new customer account group and/or new partner function.

Thanking you all in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you start doing it from (start from here)Step 3 -define new partner functions, then Step 4, Step 1 and so on..you will understand the procedure well. Please do it again starting from defining partner functions as a first step.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi,

Ok, that answers the second question (sequence of steps),

Sequence No : 1--> Step 3 --> Define Partner Function

Sequence No : 2--> Step 4 --> Account Groups - Function Assigment

Sequence No : 3> Step 1 a>Define Partner Determination Procedure

Step 1 b -->Partner Function to Determination Procedure

Sequence No: 4 --> Step 2 Partner Determination Procedure Assignment

Now since in Seq no 4, we are assigning the Partner Function, in directly via Determination Procedure, to account groups, then why the Seq no 2, is required (or vice versa).

former_member550050
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SR

Leave SAP Partner Determination screen for 2 minutes and first understand the logic

1. Create the new partner functions

2. Create the new determination procedure

3. Link the new partner functions to the new determination procedure and add mandatory, non modifiable ,optional creteria

4. Assign the new determination procedure to the document type or account group at appropriate level

This is essence and this is for all 8 levels like CMR,sales doc header,item etc

Now coming to your qn

When you define a new account group ( you might be aware account group controls partner functions of CMR) you will say that your new account group will carry out patner functions like SP,SH,BP,PY

That is ACCOUNT GROUPS function assignment

Whenever you create a new account group you will do field selection in OBD2 like suppress optional.reqd etc,create no ranges and assign no ranges and also mainly this activity partner determination

These are must settings for a new account group

AG is the german key for sold to party Partner determination procedure

This is step 1

Then in next step you will tell AG will carry out such and such partner functions Step 2 like mandatory not modifiable etc

Step 3 is link the AG to your account group

Step 4 is partner functions say if you want to create a new partner function say SB special stock partner

(in concept this is the firststep)

Step 5 is once again partner function account group assignment

So when you create a new partner function you will do step 4 first and step 5 and then 1 and 2 and 3

when you create a new account group you will do step 5 and then 1 and 2 and 3

Hope you understand now

Partner functions are relatives in your family

Say in a family we have Father ,mother sister, brother (these 4 partner functions)

This is called as Happy Family and this Happy Family is the Partner determination procedure in SAP

This Happy Family is linked to the account group

So Happy family means there are 4 partner functions

So whenever you create a CMR in the account group this father.mother,brother,sister will come as default

Suppose you add another partner function say Uncle

First you have to create uncle

Then you have to tell this account group will accept uncle

Then link the uncle in the happy family that is determination procedure of SAP along with the 4

Then assign happy family to the account group

Now when you create a CMR along with father.mother,brother,sister along with that uncle will also come

Regards

Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi & Raja and please bear with me....

As suggested by Ravi, I will do those two test scenarios.

Raja, good explanation with the "Happy Family" aka Partner Determination Procedure. Now when you create new partner function "Uncle", you assign that to "Happy Family" procedure. And then this "Happy Family" is assigned to account group. Since we assigned this partner procedure to account group, the partner function "Uncle" is also assigned to account group....right?

If it is so, then why do we have to assign the partner function "Uncle" directly to account group is step 5.

Once again my question - "What is difference between assigning the partner function to account group via partner determination procedure (in Step 1 to 3) and assigning the partner function to account group directly (in step 5)?"

Why the steps 1 to 3 are not self sufficient to assign the Partner Function to Account Group? Why do you need additional additional step 5 to assign the partner function to account group.?

I know these question might or might not get answered by doing the exercises as suggested by Ravi, however, I hope I am clear enough to put forward my point to get clarified.

Once again, I appreciate you guys being so patience and helping me in putting my arms around this concept.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Guys, Here I am again after some more investigation -

1) Create a customer C1, with Account Group G1

2) This G1 needs to have, say, four Partner functions

3) The control for above step2 is done in IMG partner determination from Step 1 thro' Step 3 (Partner Determination Procedure, PFs in PDP and then assign PDP to Account Group). Various kind of control you can do within these IMG steps like if the PF is modifiable or mandatory.

4) And now, on Sales Area, Partner Functions Screen of customer master C1, you need to enter customer number for different partner functions (as per above step 2).Depending on the business This customer number could be same as that of C1 or it could be different customer number altogether.

5) Let us assume the for a specific partner function, the customer number is C2

6) This customer C2, might belong to account group, say G2

7) Here you enter C2 ONLY if the account group G2 is allowed to have this partner function. And this is done is Step 5 of the IMG.

Do I make any sense. Please comments.......thx

former_member550050
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SR

Raja, good explanation with the "Happy Family" aka Partner Determination Procedure. Now when you create new partner function "Uncle", you assign that to "Happy Family" procedure. And then this "Happy Family" is assigned to account group. Since we assigned this partner procedure to account group, the partner function "Uncle" is also assigned to account group....right?

If it is so, then why do we have to assign the partner function "Uncle" directly to account group is step 5.

Once again my question - "What is difference between assigning the partner function to account group via partner determination procedure (in Step 1 to 3) and assigning the partner function to account group directly (in step 5)?"

Why the steps 1 to 3 are not self sufficient to assign the Partner Function to Account Group? Why do you need additional additional step 5 to assign the partner function to account group.?

My answer to your qn no 1 to first paragraph

Whenever you create a new partner function say UNCLE first you have to tell that your Account group will accept this uncle This is step 5

Then you link Uncle in Happy family and happy family is linked to account group

Then only system understands that uncle is added to that account group

You are right In a way it is duplication only But System understands that way only

Instead of duplication we can term it as double confirmation

My answer to your qn no 2 to second paragraph

See when you create a new account group without adding extra partner functions you need to follow certain procedures and that is mentioned by stepwise in the first post

See when you create a new account group with extra partner functions added you need to follow certain procedures and that is mentioned by stepwise in the first post

Hope you understand the difference between 2 statements

Is it not sufficient with steps 1 to 3 why we need to step 5?

Again it is a sort of double confirmation

I also accept the sequence of activities is not in a user friendly manner in partner determination screen

Having said this if you get the grip of the logic in partner determination you will understand the meaning and importance of each and every activity

Regards

Raja

Former Member
0 Kudos

"

See when you create a new account group without adding extra partner functions you need to follow certain procedures and that is mentioned by stepwise in the first post

See when you create a new account group with extra partner functions added you need to follow certain procedures and that is mentioned by stepwise in the first post

"

Can you please elaborate the steps as mentioned in "stepwise in the first post"?

Thanks again and I think I am pretty much understood the concepts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SR

Mr.Ramanatham Raja has already explained you nicely. I just want to make it little clear as it is a very much valid question you have asked.

Now, you are clear that, we define a Partner determination Procedure for the Customer master, define Account group, define Partner functions required.

Next we assign the Partner functions to the "Account group" as well as to the "Procedure", Right ?

The "Partner determination Procedure for Customer Master" can be assigned to different "Account groups", Right ?

But, all the Account groups may not have same "Partner functions" assigned to them, Possible?

Therefore, we assigne the required "Partner functions' to the "Account group", I mean now the "Partner functions" are permitted for that "Account group" to which they have been assigned.

Similarly,for different Account groups different "Partner functions " are permitted and if you want that all those "Partner functions "should feature in the Customer master( sales area dat > partner function tab) through the Procedure then, you have to assign those Partner functions to your "Procedure" also.

I mean, they must also be permitted for the Procedure and you can add additional Partner functions also to the Procedure.

Now, you are possibly trying with Account group "Sold-to-party" only.

Additionally,just try with some other Account group , then you will very clear about this.

former_member550050
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear SR

Visualize this scenario

When you log on the Partner Determination screens in IMG the fourth activity partner functions say there are only 4 entries Pakka is available in the system that is SP,SH,BP,PY

Now you are creating your own account group copying from 0001 that is sold to party

You have done every thing correct and you are coming now to partner Determination

Case 1

As you want only the four partner functions in your new account group that is SP,SH,BP,PY in this case you need not touch the fourth activity at all

fifth and then first and then second and then third No need to touch the fourth as whatever you want the partner functions are already there

Case 2

In your new account group you want to add another partner function say SB(special stock partner to be added as mandatory) along with 4

Then you have define the fourth activity that is adding SB in the list then fifth and then first and then second and third

More important than the sequence mentioned it is the importance or significance of all activities are important

If you create a lof of new functions and then account groups and work on different permutation and combinations( as suggested by Mr.Ravi initially) you will be much clearer

As you are telling that you getting the grip of logic think you can close this thread

Regards

Raja

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

A) Since the Partner Functions are assigned (via partner determination procedure) to account groups in Step 1, then why Partner Functions are assigned AGAIN to account groups in Step 4. What is the significance of this assignment in Step 4.

You define Partner Functions in Partner Determination Procedure to control: which partner functions are allowed, Non-Modifiable, and/or Manadatory in STEP 1.

Again You assign Partner Functions to the Account Group. Then only System creates the number to the Partner Functions, (If it is INTERNAL ASSIGNMENT, system itself creates the number) in STEP 4, if this step 4 is not done, number is not created.

(B) Is there is particular sequence of Steps (1 to 5), one should follow when somebody has to create new customer account group and/or new partner function.

STEP 1 : a) Partenr Determination Procedure,

b) Partner Functions and

c) Account Group

Irrespective of the order you can define the above in STEP 1, it is prerequisite for STEP 2.

STEP 2: a) Partner Functions in Procedure,

b) Partner Determination Procedure Assignment (to Account Group) and

c) Account Group-Functions Assignment

Irrespective of the order you can assign the above in STEP 2.

K. Prasad

Edited by: prasad k on Feb 21, 2009 10:40 AM

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I would suggest you to do the following scenarios to better understand the reason...

Test1 :

1. Assign the four partner functions (SP,SH,PY,BP) to the Account group

2. Place only three partner functions in the procedure (exclude SH)

3. Now Create the customer master record and observe the partner functions tab in the sales area data.

Test2 :

1. Assign only three partner functions(exclude SH) to the Account group

2. Place all the four partner functions in the procedure

3. Now create the customer master record and observe the partner functions tabl in the sales area data.

Thanks,

Ravi