cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2ee Engine on existing Abap stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to install SAP J2ee engine on a existing ABAP stack on IBM i series machine. I am going throught the document.What are the constraints of installing a j2ee engine on a existing abap machine.if we run the sapinst does java engine automatically sit on the exist SAP system with ABAP.

Please let me know if there is any important pre requisite i should do for the installation.

Thanks

Joyce

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joyce

Here's what I imagine:

1. Make sure which stack level of J2EE engine you pursue, for example, AS Java of NW 7.0 SR3 is going to be installed, so the corresponding stack level is SPS14.

2. Make a system copy from source system to a sandbox, and upgrade ABAP part to SPS14, it's optional just for keeping ABAP and Java running on sync stack level.

3. Start SAPInst --> Choose system type(ERP, NW, etc..) --> Software Lifecycle options --> Java Add-in for ABAP.

To apply other sca packages, please use JSPM or SDM.

Additionally, this thread below might be helpful.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/004e5f27-374b-2b10-4da9-894986fd...

Give some points at your convenience _

Effan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Only if not avoidable I would install a double stack system. I'd recommend installing Java instances separately.

just a few reasons:

- you create a hard dependency in the support package stack (an SP installation on one (ABAP or Java) implies the SP installation on the other)

- you need to run two upgrades in parallel (for ABAP and Java) if you upgrade the system - one will wait on each other

- you can't do system copies by copying the database only but you must use sapinst

- managing two complete different software stacks from a performance and resource perspective can become pretty complex and challenging

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

one argument in addition:

SAP's current and future strategy is to separate ABAP and Java stacks.

Best regards,

Christoph