cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Middleware information

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My clinet has ECC 6 and needs to talk to other non-sap systems. I understand that we need to have a middleware to make this happen. I was thinking to implement XI. But i came to know that even to implement XI some hardware procurement is necessary. And we are running out of time. To implement XI itself would be a mini project of 4-6 months (correct me if i am wrong).

Is there any other way to get data into SAP without usage of middleware. Say i need to import customer master, material master, pricing into SAP from JD Edwards and Mainframes.

Can anyone give me all the required details on how to achieve feasible solution on this.

Regards,

Jayant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JoelTrinidade
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi jayant,

What ruslim says definetly is true that there are other ways of doing data migration between legacy systems and SAP but then it would be a short sighted solution. If you use XI things would be difficult in the begining but then in the long run it would be advantageous. Setup and installation of xi is not such a big task that it would take 4 to 6 months. You could do it in a matter of days.

Rgds

joel

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Better to for SAP XI only Because find below points about SAP XI

XI is well suited for connecting SAP systems with each other and with non-SAP. SAP XI provides an integrated workflow engine that allows defining adapters to non-XML protocols and mappings to convert data content from source to target format.XI comes handy particularly incase of SAP - Non SAP interfaces where you can import standard integration content. Also XI has got sophisticated open standard adapter framework which is very easy to implement and custom logic can be implemented using Adapter module programming.

Advantages

Monitoring is better than any other middleware product. It offers exhaustive monitoring features like message, performance, component monitoring etc, all of which can be used to track and rectify the errors. It follows a hub and spoke model.

u2022When you need to integrate with an SAP system XI has an advantage in supporting various SAP components and so on.

u2022Process functionalities inside XI to modify content in the communication channel on own defined rules for business purposes.

u2022Mappings and adapters are good as comparable with any other middleware product.

u2022Synchronous & Asynchronous communication is possible.

some limitation also there in XI but in you landscape you have ECC,Main Frame Systems ,JD Edwards.

The integration between ECC with other System.SAP XI predefined adapters and Content providing to connect SAP Systems very easy , and it will take less development time.

But implementation time you mentioned (4-6 months) its not possible ,but it depend on your labndscape and number interfaces has to develop.

Cheers,

Raj

former_member750652
Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Jayanth,

Adding to the above points experts said.XI in long run helps you out in turning the traditional middleware oriented integration to SOA based.I think you know the benifit of SOA.It drastically reduces the integrating complexities once its in place with out doing much changes in the existing integration solutions in the enterprise.Since you are going to integrate ECC6 with other legacy system.It will be best solution to have XI inplace rather than going for seperate connectors for different application integration whose functionality is limited for those integrated iterfaces only.XI can provide complete integration solution for any type of integration.

Thanks,

Ram.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javant,

Some possible integration technologies in SAP with external systems without using PI are:

1. IDOC, the message format is like EDI and use to communicate with any EDI system, SAP system, or 3rd party which can read and process IDOC format.

2. RFC and BAPI, this is used with any RFC client or server, can be used together with Jco for Java or .NET for microsoft

3. Upload and Download using File. The source put the file at the sharing folder and the target picks it up and process it.

4. SAP Connect, mainly for mail and faxing

5. SAP Phone, maily for telephony integration

I think you might want try option 1, 2, and 3.

Regards,

Lim...