cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup with external backuptool using brtools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people,

We are setting up a backup plan and we intend to make use of brtools along an external backup software to tape (The backup tool in question is Symantec)

The questions are:

i)What parameters do i need to set in the initSID.sap files to make this work successfully;

ii) what is the process to configure the Backint interface that is required;

iii) and other details that are necessary to be configured

You feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Atkinson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i)What parameters do i need to set in the initSID.sap files to make this work successfully;

add/edit this line:

util_par_file = initSID.utl

then adapt initSID.utl and talk to your Symantec administrator to know which parameters to use.

ii) what is the process to configure the Backint interface that is required;

install Symantec stuff and follow their procedures.

iii) and other details that are necessary to be configured

*offline brbackup command should look like this one:

D:\usr\sap\DEV\SYS\exe\run\brbackup.exe -u / -c force -m all -t offline_force -p D:\Oracle\DEV\102\database\initDEV.sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric, your repose proved useful.

May I also ask in what scenario(s) does one choose to use either of util_file or util_file_online as setting for parameter backup_dev_type; and the differences between the two?

Regards,

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Atkinston,

If UTIL_FILE_ONLINE is used then only that Tablespace which is currently being backed up is put in "backup" mode. but in UTIL_FILE, all tablespace are put in backup mode at the same time.

Generally when online backup takes long time and from log you find BEGIN BACKUP statement for tablespace took long time, it may be helpful to use UTIL_FILE.

You may look at Note 584548 which describes a case where UTIL_FILE_ONLINE is recommened to be used when you've case of unusually high number of redo logs.

Thanks,

Debasis.