cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple instance installation on Unix -oracle platform

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am trying to install ECC 6.0 IDES SR3 version on HP-UX oracle platform.

I need to install ECC 6.0 and SCM 5.1 on the same HP-UX machine with Oracle as RDBMS.

I have finished installation for ECC 6.0 ( during when i installed oracle software under

user ora<IEC> and 10.2.0.2 pathces)

Oracle home was /oracle/ECC/102_64

Now i need to start another installation for SCM instance and Oracle home would be

/oracle/SEM/102_64

what i want to know whether i again need to install Oracle RDBMS and patches with user

ora<SEM> this time and carry installation again or installation will automatically detect

oracle installation and will ask me whether option for ceating new oraclehome for SCM.

what is the approach.

I need 2 oracle databases running for ECC and SCM at same time under oracle homes

/oracle/ECC/102_64

/oracle/SEM/102_64

I have done same scenario under Windows OS and second installation detects Oracle software.

But what happens on Unix platform????

Please help me out ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

RR

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as long as ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID are setup properly in your [sid]adm and ora[sid], using 2 ORACLE_HOME will not cause issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

My question would be , i need to know installation sequence for second SCM instance which i have not yet installed.

What would be the flow.... again installation will stop at phase...." Install Oracle software " ...then ask you to login with Ora<SCM> user and install Oracle from /oracle/stage ...this time might be with oracle home .... /oracle/SCM/102_64....and then patches 10.2.0.2 ....and then so on....???

I just want to confirm that my ECC 6.0 is running on same machine .... if i run oracle universal installer

with different user Ora<SEM> and try to install software again ...against some other oracle home

i.e /oracle/SEM/102_64 .... ( where my ECC is running /oracle/ECC/102_64 )... do i have to do

seperate installation for Oracle software and patches like the process i explained ....

Or

I dont have to install Oracle software again....may some other option in Sapinst selection screen..

Please help me out with the flow for other installation SCM....when ECC currently running on the system...???

Would it be the same ??? but with different oracle_home../oracle/SEM/102_64

Edited by: ganesh rr on Feb 18, 2009 8:29 PM

Edited by: ganesh rr on Feb 18, 2009 8:30 PM

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

just before starting the second Oracle installation, set environment variable ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID of the new Oracle installation and see what happens.

you can use 1 ORACLE_HOME if you want, but I would avoid this options as both Oracle systems would be dependent of the same Oracle Version, which will cause special problems in case of an upgrade.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member105207
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Please check this notes also

98252 Installing two Oracle databases on a host

350251 Creating a New or 2nd Oracle SID with runInstaller

it might be helpful for you.

regards,

chandru.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for helping me out , installation went through.