cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maxdb parameter file corrupt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

The file system /sapdb/data was 100% full some time ago, and since then we cannot start one of the database instances anymore.

When trying to start the instance it returns:

dbmcli -U c_J2EE db_start

ERR -11608 COMMUNIC sql03_request: wrong connection state, state is 'requested'

Error! Connection failed to node sapwd2 for database WD2:

connection broken

In the file /sapdb/data/wrk/dbmsrv_nlbsf02.prt I find the following lines at the time of error:

2009-02-18 14:04:00 0x00002a05 INF          1 DBMSrvCo A DBM Server client connection was established at 2009-02-18 14:03:59 (client process has process ID 10755 on computer sapwd2.bsf.bouwstenenfabriek.nl).
2009-02-18 14:04:00 0x00002a05 ERR     -24700 DBMSrv   ERR_DBMSRV_NOSTART: Could not start DBM server.
                    0x00002a05 ERR     -24840 DBMSrv   ERR_NODBMLOGGER: DBM logger could not be initialized
                    0x00002a05 ERR     -24994 DBMSrv   ERR_RTE: Runtime environment error
                    0x00002a05 ERR      20062 RTE      RTE error checksum does not match, parameter file may be corrupt
                    0x00002a05 ERR     -24994 DBMSrv   ERR_RTE: Runtime environment error
                    0x00002a05 ERR      20062 RTE      RTE error checksum does not match, parameter file may be corrupt
2009-02-18 14:04:00 0x00002a05 INF          2 DBMSrvCo A DBM Server client connection was released (client process has process ID 10755 on computer sapwd2.bsf.bouwstenenfabriek.nl). 

However, there is no indication which parameter file is corrupt. There is nothing written in directory /sapdb/data/wrk/WD2 when I try to start, so the KnlMsg file does not change either.

My question is for which parameter file is the checksum not correct? Is there a way to fix this parameter file?

I have searched google and SDN but not found anything usefull so far.

Rob Veenman

SAP Basis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it looks like the database parameter file located in indepdata/wrk has been corrupted.

The name of the file is <DBNAME>.

This file contains the database configuration.

It sounds like during the file system full situation the file has been corrupted.

The database has more than one version of the parameter file stored.

You will find the elder version of the parameter file in the indepdata/wrk directory as well.

To solve this problem you should copy the corrupted one to <DBNAME>.corr

and then reload the last correct version of the parameter file with dbmcli param_restore <version>

Regards, Christiane

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx all for the help. I moved the parameter file <SID> to <SID>.corrupt and found more parameter files of the <SID> in the same directory /sapdb/data/config named <SID>.01 - <SID>.10. I copied one of those files to <SID> (i took one from a date i knew was correct) and started the database. Everything worked great again! I was a little afraid of running param_restore, because there are multiple databases installed on the system. This seems to work just fine.

FYI: the problem occurred when the /sapdb/data/ mount ran out of space...

Rob Veenman

SAP Basis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

well - removing the old file and copying one of the numbered files is exactly what param_restore does.

There's no need to fear this command, even if you've 100 instances running on that machine.

It's absolutely sure, that this command will only work on the instance you are logged on to.

In general I would recommend to avoid touching/moving files for MaxDB - most often there is the appropriate DBM command available for it. So better use these commands instead.

Anyhow, glad to see that you solved the problem.

Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> However, there is no indication which parameter file is corrupt. There is nothing written in directory /sapdb/data/wrk/WD2 when I try to start, so the KnlMsg file does not change either.

>

> My question is for which parameter file is the checksum not correct? Is there a way to fix this parameter file?

> I have searched google and SDN but not found anything usefull so far.

>

Hi Rob,

there is just one parameter file for each MaxDB instance - the currently active one.

It's the file /sapdb/data/config/<SID>.

As your current file seems to be damaged, you may rename it and run a

param_restore 1

to get the last backed up version of it back.

ATTENTION : If you modified the volume configuration before the file got corrupt and no backup version of the parameter file had been created since than, restoring the old version will make your database unstartable.

The missing volume configuration parameters would then need to bee added manually again.

regards,

Lars