cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to copy the SoD rules in the same system to diff. Rule SetId

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have created SoD rules as per our business requirement in RAR 5.3 Component connecting to the QA system. We want to copy the same rules into another different RULE SET for the same QA system. Is this possible?

Ex: ABRULE SET - Tailored as per Business Requirement and generated rules linking to QA system [Manually configured the SoD rules].We will use this Rule set for our Production System as it was frozen as per the Business Requirement (This we will do by establishing another JCO to production system)

We wanted to copy the entire SoD rules of ABRULESET to another rule set say YZRULESET. This YZRULESET we will use for making any configuration changes in future before making changes to ABRULESET which will be connected to Production System.

Is it possible to copy the SoD RULES from one Rule Set ID to another Rule Set ID within the same system? If yes, please provide us the procedure on how to copy the rules of one Rule set Id to another Rule set ID.

We explored the options of Export & Import Rules but no where it asked for new Rule Set ID for copying.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Srihari.K

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

koehntopp
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Here is a method I've seen a few customers use, which seems like a good idea:

- load the standard rule set

- create a new empty rule set

- create your risks in the new rule set ( initially this could be a re-import of the risks, risk_desc and risk_ruleset files with a few changes done in excel to change the IDs)

This means you have an exact copy of the SAP standard risks in your own rule set, using the SAP functions.

Even if you have to define your own risks, there's an enormous value in the functions. The identification of TCodes and objects that do similar business transactions is probably the most difficult thing to reproduce on your own.

Now, whenever you have to change a risk (risk level, description, owner) you do that in your own name space

If you have to change a function (modify objects, add custom TCodes), you COPY the function to your own name space and change the risk in your name space to use the changed function.

If you want to be smart, you do all your own stuff in copies of the text files that come with the support packs (i.e. not in rule architect). That may not be an option if your compliance requirements want you to use the change history or automatic workflows that RAR provides, but if you don't need that, here's the advantage of this:

When a new set of rules arrives every few months, you delete your rules with a deletion script you can get from SAP support, upload the standard rule text files, upload your own text files, and you're set with your own rule set that makes use of SAP's latest updated functions.

This is (currently) basically the only way to automatically apply SAP changes without doing it manually, thus leveraging changes to functions by SAP.

All your changes will be in your own text files, which you can document and version control according to your requirements.

Not exactly the way according to the manual, but an interesting concept worth considering.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Srini,

As of now, there is no direct way to download a particular ruleset. You can remove the entries for Global rule set and just keep the entries for custom rule set. Now, just run a find/replace on custom rule set name.

Here is my response to your other questions:

Also, do we need to change the ABRULESET to YZRULESET whereever it appears in the spreadsheet like RISK IDs - assigned to ABRULESET? YES

Is it ok if the Function IDs/Risk IDs/Business Process IDs etc are same for the both the rule set IDs i.e ABRULESET & YZRULESET or do we need to rename those IDs also with a different naming convention. No

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sri,

This functionality is in 5.3 and it is working fine. The export functionality in 5.2 had some glitches.

Go to configuration -> utilities -> export rules and select BP, Functions, Rule Sets, Rules and Risks and click on get rules. Download the notepad file and save it in Unicode.

Now, open the file in excel and search and replace ABRULE SET with YZRULESET. Once the file is ready, click on import rules and this will create a new ruleset for you which is exact replica of old ruleset.

Regards,

Alpesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alpesh,

Thanks for your inputs.

We performed the same by exporting rules. But unfortunately even the Global rule set also downloaded along with the customized rules.

Is there a way where we can download only the CUSTOMIZED RULE SET as it was created with a different rule set ID as ABRULESET.

Also, do we need to change the ABRULESET to YZRULESET whereever it appears in the spreadsheet like RISK IDs - assigned to ABRULESET?

Is it ok if the Function IDs/Risk IDs/Business Process IDs etc are same for the both the rule set IDs i.e ABRULESET & YZRULESET or do we need to rename those IDs also with a different naming convention.

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards,

Srihari.K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

My suggestions:

1) Define your new SoD Matrix for YZRULESET containing exactly the same elements (risks, functions, function-actions, function-permissions...) than ABRULESET. Name such elements with different IDs. For instance, if risks for ABRULESET are like ABR1, ABR2, ABR3 etc you could name them as YZR1, YZR2, YZR3 for the new YZRULESET. Same for functions ID: YZR1FUN1 for ABR1FUN1, ABR1FUN2 etc

2) Once you define all your SoD elements for rule set YZRULESET, upload them into CC/RAR and generate rules.

Doing so, you will have the same rules for the same SoD Matrix under different Rule Sets IDs.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Imanol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Imanol,

Thanks for your reply.

But defining means you mean to say we need to extract them into a text files and then change the naming convention as suggested by you. Then we need to upload them into the RAR tool.

Please let me if the below procedure is correct for performing the above activity

a) Extract all the Business Process/Rule set IDs/Function Ids/Risks etc into a spreadsheet (RAR 5.3 enables to extract into a spreadsheet)

b) Then change the naming convention of all the above i.e BP/RS/Func/Risks

c) Convert the changed spreadsheet into a text file (Unicode format)

d) Then upload the text files using the mass uploading procedure i.e.same procedure while we upload the standard text files i.e in a sequential order of Business Process/Rule set/Function/Function Risk relationship etc.

e) Generate rules once all the text files are uploaded.

We have the below doubts here :

i) The above extracts will not as per the standard text files provided by the SAP along with the software. Do we need to use the Export Rule functionality for exporting all these. In that scenario it would be very difficult to change the naming convention as entire data will be in one text file

ii) Also we would like know, once we generate the rules, does these rules replace the standard SAP Rules which we have uploaded as a Post Installation activity with Global Rule set ID or will it create a separate rules with a different Rule set id as mentioned in the text files.

iii) How to export only a particular Rule Set rules without the Global Rule set rules say i.e. ABRULESET rules only?

Thanks in Advance,

Srihari.K