cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic restart at SXMB_MONI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

What exactly happens when any of my messages get to the state "Automatic restart" because of any temporary errors like communication failure? How is the system configured to restart these messages; parameters, background jobs? Is there a default mechanism PI uses without any configuration or do I set up anything for these messages to actually be restarted automatically?

All input&links will be very much appreciated and rewarded as well. Thank you.

Regards,

Gökhan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your inputs. Actually I had read the blog here:

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/29/xi-how-to-re-process-failed-xi-messages-automatically

and I got confused. It says:

Option 1

IS_Retry A batch job( internal in XI) is automatically scheduled to reprocess the entry after 2 minutes.

If the maximum number of retries was reached (10 by default; IS configuration parameter

TUNING IS_RETRY_LIMIT), a communication error then causes a SYSFAIL status for a queue.

Option 2 The problem with setting IS_RETRY is that every message with a failure status will be retried every 2minitues till the maximum number of retries is reached. Since there is no control on the retry period , a high retry count could cause excessive load on XI. The other option is to do Mass Restart by scheduling the report RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES at a predetermined retry period like 1hr. There is a catch here, RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES tries to restart a failed message 800 times by default. So if there is a message that failed due to genuine reasons, we may want to limit the number of retries. It is recommend by SAP to reduce the retry count to 20 restarts. (You can always manually restart a message, from the monitor, up to 990 times).

What I understand from option 2 is that, RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES can be scheduled to mass restart all messages with temporary errors, and although Naveen wrote it also in option 1, IS_RETRY_LIMIT parameter is valid for this program.

What I don't understand is Option 1. What is IS_Retry he is talking about? Is there any other mechanisms to restart messages other than reports RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES, RSQIWKEX and RSARFCEX? "A batch job( internal in XI) is automatically scheduled to reprocess the entry after 2 minutes" - what job is this?

Thank you,

Gökhan

Edited by: S. Gökhan Topçu on Feb 18, 2009 10:12 AM

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is IS_Retry he is talking about?

IS_Retry is a job which runs in background can be directly sceduled using sxmb_adm -> Integration Engine Configuration -> Specific Parameter -> Parameter IS_RETRY_LIMIT. Nothing else has to be configured for this.

"A batch job( internal in XI) is automatically scheduled to reprocess the entry after 2 minutes" - what job is this?

It is the same job. Only configuration required is what I said above.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Prateek for your prompt and clear replies.

Regards,

Gökhan

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

SudhirT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

At integration engine level the property IS_Retry_Limit sets the automatic retries(default 10) and at adapter level the parameter is there in Visual Admin.

Check the link sap help http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/29/22ee41c334c717e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

former_member192295
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have standard SAP functional module RSXMB_RESTART_MESSAGES, execute this functional in background. Whenever any error message occur it will re execute message automatically or manually we can restart message in SXMB_MONI window through Restart button

For more help find below link

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/29/xi-how-to-re-process-failed-xi-messages-automatically

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

SXMB_MONI only u will find option restart using that you can reprocess messages automatically, search in sdn u wil find doc.

Cheers,

Raj

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are certian parameters to be set to make it an automatic procedure. You may find the details here

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Repeat counter is set in SXMB_ADM, Category Tuning, Parameter IS_RETRY_LIMIT (total number of repeat attempts).

Regards,

Lim...