cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII 12.1 Distributed Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are evaluating options for installing MII 12.1 (currently in ramp-up) in a distributed manner.

We have SQL Server setup in one site. We would be installing MII instances on multiple sites. But would like to know in terms of Netweaver Database, if we can create multiple netweaver db instances on the same SQL Server one for each site and use them with distributed Netweaver CE 7.1 Application servers on each site.

In essence, all Netweaver App servers across sites would connect to different SQL Server instances that arel hosted on the same physical host at 1 site.

Would this result in serious performance degradations because the SQL Server is farther away from the Netweaver Application server? Will the application make a call to the netweaver database for each click since the code is residing on the Netweaver database or does it cache enough to avoid the trips?

Please let me know

Thanks

Deepa

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deepa,

Consider all of the file I/O that your current server performs with query template loads, display template loads, and business logic service loads, not to mention the user/role and security related information files which are largely stored in memory upon startup. Now transition all of the file I/O to JDBC calls in and out of a database for this same effort, and you'll see why Mike indicated some concerns for degredation, especially for longer and longer distances between the NetWeaver/MII server and your single SQLServer instance. Depending upon the volume of users and their associated activity this can be quite a bit of traffic going across the wire between NetWeaver and SQLServer.

If you are looking to avoid some of the SQL licensing costs at the plant level, why not just consider using the free MaxDB underneath NetWeaver? In the realm according to MII, it doesn't even know the difference because the NetWeaver layer provides abstraction from both DB and O/S.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jeremy for your answer.

We were looking at the SQL Server licensing costs and utilization. That is why I wanted to find out if this was a feasible option and I hear the answer loud and clear. MaxDB is definitely a good option, but not our enterprise standard. So we will work on getting SQL Server licenses

Thanks for the replies

Deepa

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deepa,

A quick look makes me think you will see performance degradation as a result of your proposed architecture. Generally when we speak of distributed installation, we are referring to a NetWeaver/MII installation physically (and in a local network sense) located on the manufacturing site.

Not being a NetWeaver expert, I am not sure whether you would also see degradation of the multiple NetWeaver instances on the same core database.

I invite others to chime in. You may also want to raise this question on a NetWeaver board as well.

Regards,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Feb 17, 2009 9:17 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mike for the quick response. Logically, we can see that there will be an impact. But not sure on how significant or insignificant it might be.

I will also open a thread in Netweaver board.

Thanks

Deepa