cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Moderators

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Moderators,

Can we make a rule for General Posting..?

For example:

If, there are general queries like:

Posting only possible in periods 2009/01 and 2008/12 in company

or,

Account xxxxx requires an assignment to a CO object'

or

What is Third Party Sales Process

and many more...

for which 100s of threads, with Solutions, are already being available in [Search Forum|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/forumsearch]

and if, User puts the similar kind of Queries (repeatedly, again and again) and he does not provide his Research-work (before posting the threads); in such case -

USER must get Blocked, from the Forum.

This will reduce the No. of Unwanted queries, in to Forum. This will also ensure the Quality of the Forum. This will restrict the Ill-Practices, in to the Forum.

No matters, what Moderators and Other Members, are gonna think up on this suggestion; This was my responsibility to Provide something Constructive-Feedback, to the Forum, which has given me alot (in SAP Knowledge sense).

Best Regards,

Amit

Note: Make User more responsible, while putting the Queries/ issues, in terms of:

1. How much efforts, have been taken by themselves?

2. Query must be meaningful, in sense, what is the requirement and why it is reqd.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I have done my duty.

Hopefully, positive changes will be reflected, very soon.

Best Regards,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for valuable inputs, over the issue.

Even, I don't want to Restrict anyone for any reason.

But, this is our responsibility to Step-Forward, Take responsibility and Change the things.

Its not a matter of you or they or me, We all are responsible for every Good things or Bad Things, happen.

Being a Professional, and an Active Member of SDN (till time), I have that much sense, which query is general and easily available and must be avoided, and which queries are logical and must get responded.

Next time, in response to Such General queries, firstly, I'll put link to [Search Forum|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/forumsearch] w/o any other Thread-link.

And, if I find, still other members are responding to the same query, I'll Report that Thread as Abuse (by clicking Yellow Triangle, before the Reply Option).

Rest, is up to Moderators, and more importantly, up to SDN-Members.

Very Best Regards,

Amit

There were Two-ways:

1. Either, be a part of this System, Or

2. Respond-Back against it.

I opted for 2nd.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Amit

All these years I have been requesting members to search the forum before posting silly / basic questions and only very few members have taken my request in right spirit and some have raised objection and at times, they have commented like anything which I dont want to express here.

I am really happy that all members have the same opinion and going in right direction which is defintely an encouraging sign to this forum.

All of you are aware Moderators are also doing their best by locking the threads then and there and giving a warning to the concerned but at the sametime, it is also very difficult to keep monitoring the forum regularly as they also have to work for their employers.

Dear Mr.Amit on your comments

USER must get Blocked, from the Forum

I dont think practically this is possible. In fact discussions are going on among Moderators and necessary steps are being taken then and there. Also wherever any individual holds multiple user ids and rewarding themselves, they have blocked those user ids straightaway.

This is due to the fact that many new members without knowing the rules and regulations of the forum, are posting such questions and despite the fact that they have been requested, many continue to do so. As I always telling the forum, unless the individual have self discipline and maintain decorum, it will be hectic task to Moderators to bring controls in the forum.

This is not only in this forum but in all other forum also, these things are still continuing and there also, the respective members have warned.

Anyway, I will take up with other Moderators about this issue and update. But for posting repeated questions, blocking the respective user id may not be possible.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member550050
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Amith

I am too with you in this issue. But let us admit when somebody has asked about what is item category (This qn has has come 10 days back ) you and i too have answered (along with all respectable members of this forum)

Let us stop that

I openly admit that many of my points has come thro repeated answers But i am happy in some genuine cases i have genuinely given a lot of good suggestions which has really helped those friends and they have said a REAL thanks

In the recent past there have been very average repeated questions but really there are some good interesting genuine issues also and some really some goods suggstions from elite members like you

My message is that we have to correct ourselves first rather than pointing out fingers on new comes who sometimes might have genuine difficulties

There is No createria followed in locking a thread?

If somebody ask about intercompany and intra company configuration thread is locked

If somebody ask about item category all start answering no lock for that thread

Till ECC 5.0 in certication materials intercompany and intra company configuration is not at all there

If somebody ask that atleast there is some logic behind that but not for item category

Both threads should be locked but unfortunately it has not happened that way

Regards

Raja

former_member217082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I feel blocking the General Question thread is Correct.

Blocking the members who answer those queries is not correct.

Members without searching if they post the query then we should put a NOTE also to search in the forum , to give awareness to all those members.

Regards

Srinath

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

One suggestion to counter this problem...

Instead of Blocking the user for posting the general question....we should block the member who replies for this kind of threads. The blocking should be done for a period (say one week or one month) and then it should automatically be released. This can be reported using the abuse button for blocking the ID. Then people will be more careful in giving the replies. Now for certain wrong practices the moderators are removing points of that member.

Thanks,

Ravi

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This seems bit sensitive decision for the Moderators - I guess.

In this Case, They have to Think about 80% of Users who posts without doing any Re-Search or 20% of genuine users posts & its difficult to identify the genuine Users.

Blocking USER, I dont think it is a good idea.

AMIT's Concern is valid. But at the same time, we have to think about other implications & USERs too.

If all Contributors reply for the post as, [" User Search Forum.Before POST"].

Then there could be the chance of loosing New/First time USERS.

- Any decision from Moderators,definitely will have impact on Users as well as Contributors too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

If we feel we are responsible then dont answer such queries but what i observed is for such type of questions answers are flooded.

In such cases what i suggest that if it is a general query which had already addressed in this forum

then every one should reply to that post

as follows

"Please use the search functionality of this forum"

This is my opinion

regards

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Excellent suggestion and very valid suggestion. It is very difficult to stop raising these threads or stop people giving replies to those kind of threads because many new members join daily and it is very difficult to ask everybody to search the forum and we cannot stop members giving replies because many times they do it to gain some points. I feel Forum: Suggestions and Comments is still more appropriate place for this.

As per my feeling...the link farming should be completely banned. If we are forced to type message everytime, after sometime we feel bored to type the same answer again and again. Many members in this forum including me do provide links in our replies. If we could give a link searching this forum or googling...why can't the person who raised the thread do that search.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Ravi,

80% of the threads, contain the repeated query, and are nothing to do in Real-time, as they haven't been put by real-time Uses, for SAP.

And, the noticable part is, these queries get answered, with Rewards-Points.

But, what about the rest 20% of the queries, occurred in real-time scenarios (posted by Real-time Professionals)?

These 20 % threads, hardly get more than 2-3 posts, and very often either get Closed by user, or they themselves find a solution.

Today, SDN is known as most authenticated Forum, for SAP.

But, if the same continues, soon, SDN will be listed, among other sites (i don't wanna mention name of these sites), for SAP.

Best Regards,

Amit

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Whether it is the most authenticated or not is individual's perception. We rarely see senior people active in this forum. Majority of the active members are members from 2007 only. Why the seniors(in terms of membership) are not actively participating. Can we list out the reasons? After few months we don't see many of the members who are active now. The reason definitely not because of the busy engagements. It is the deteriorating quality of the forums and also the same kind of threads and replies.

Thanks,

Ravi

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Amit,

Your point is 100% correct. Infact I had raised this concern sometime back.

But dont you think the onus lies on us (all the ones who contribute) also. I mean we should strictly not post answers to repeatative queries. We should tell the person who has posted general query to search the forum.

Let us all the contributors make a rule not to provide solution for general queries & ask the person to search first & only then post. Infact in my personal experience, 80 - 90% of my queries get solved when I first search the forums.

Anyways I accept your point to block the Users who regularly post general queries without taking pain of searching the forums.

Hope I have not hurt anyone personally.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr. Jignesh,

Thanks for your Valuable Comments.

To your statement:

But dont you think the onus lies on us (all the ones who contribute) also. I mean we should strictly not post answers to repeatative queries. We should tell the person who has posted general query to search the forum.

Just check the Very recent Post:

Now, what should I say to Ms. Neelima..?

It wasn't like, i was not knowing the answer, but...

Best Regards,

Amit