cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SolMan Service Desk vs CRM IT Service Desk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

Iu2019m trying to find out if to use Service Desk in SolMan or in CRM. I know that the Service Desk in SolMan is limited to IT-infrastructure, hardware and teledevices. I u2018ve also found out that it also support non-SAP applications when applying XT (both of which are requirements).

My question is if it also can handle ordinary service requests (in contrast to incidents and problems that seems to be tightly integrated with applications), for example the request to order a new cellphone etc. I also wonder how the communication (creation of requests, changes in status) is supposed to work, is it through mail. I know that SolMan gives the possibilities to create incidents etc in the application through the help menu (adding system info), but what if the user wants to check status, or what if the user wants to create the request to order a cellphone?

Does CRM IT Service Desk have more functionality, it seems to me that it isnu2019t as tightly integrated to the applications as Solman Service Desk (although there is the option of integrating with SolMan). I also get the impression that SolMan alternative is more suitable when help from SAP Support via application is requirement. Is this (CRM) a better option if the service desk also should be able to handle u201Cordinaryu201D service requests?

Input is much appreciated!

(I believe I've scanned through the majority of info on the web so experience is more appreciated than hyperlinks)

Roland

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

I have worked on several service desk implementation including Solman.....

Based on my experiance i would suggest the New CRM 2007 IT SERVICE Desk implemention....

The reasons are many.......I am not mentioning it as you have already visited all related links...

However if u plan to use the lower version of CRM (5.0 or 5.2), then i would say Solman service desk is better......as solman service desk uses BBPCRM5.0 as its software component......

Hope this is helpfull

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand!

Feels good to get response from someone so experinced!

The option for CRM would be CRM 2007, any input on new important features?

My BIG concern is that SolMan Service Desk doesn't seem to have support for basic Service requests, requests that isn't related to a specific application. The closest thing to this seems to be Incidents (when something in the IT infrastructure is not working as expected) and this seems to be tightly linked to a specific application. Is this a correct? Is it possible to make a request just for ordering a new cell phone in SolMan Service Desk?

Best Regards,

Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> The option for CRM would be CRM 2007, any input on new important features?

New features is form of Web based UI, Better escalation mngt possible, most requirements of IT service desk scenario is covered by just customzing settings, which was not possible with CRM 5.0 where you were mostly forced to opt for custom development for any complex requirement..

> My BIG concern is that SolMan Service Desk doesn't seem to have support for basic Service requests, requests that isn't related to a specific application. The closest thing to this seems to be Incidents (when something in the IT infrastructure is not working as expected) and this seems to be tightly linked to a specific application. Is this a correct? Is it possible to make a request just for ordering a new cell phone in SolMan Service Desk?

Incidents are there as default....however if you want to follow some addtional process, then you have to create your own transaction type, status profile and so on......this has to be done in both CRM 2007 or in solman as well....

Ordering a new cell phone can be done by solman as well as just another transaction type....

with SOLMAN only the R3 integration is not possible, becoz there is no CRM middlware in place...

I hope i answered your queries..

Regards,

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anand,

I want to configure Service desk in my solution manager.

we have solman 4.0 SP 14

ECC system 6.0

what could be the best possible strategies to implement it.

can you please send my any detail config guide on it.

thanks

Answers (0)