cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS & Me !!

Former Member
0 Kudos

guys, I have already read the documentation on help.sap.com and also ADM106 and ADM107 courses. So i am not gonna ask you about how to configure this and that. However, I have some basic questions about CCMS that I need some clarification on.

We have a 3 system ECC 6.0 landscape with dev, qa and prod. systems. My main goal of using CCMS is to use availability monitoring among other monitors. I would like to choose a CEN out of the 3 systems, but I do not understand which one to setup as CEN. In the SAP course documentation and advise from a basis friend tells me to setup the PROD system as CEN. But my question is that if i setup PROD as CEN, then how do i get alerted ( i plan to setup email auto alert norification) when the the CEN (i.e PROD) instances are down itself ???? In other words, if my Production Central Instance goes down due to lets say OS failure, then how will i get alerted because SAP wont be able to send any alert notification through email ??? And ofcourse Production is the system that one would be most worried about. So, Is setting up DEV or QA as the CEN a better option ????

Secondly, we also have sol man 7.0. I understand that you can use sol man to display the alerts in your satellite systems including the CEN in sol man. So, does this mean that sol man is only used to display all the alerts in a central location. It does not really do anything on its own, like auto reactions etc. Hence, even if i setup sol man and connect it to all my 3 systems, and lets say my Production DB server is down due to a power outage, no alert would get generated by sol man ???? OR WILL ONE BE ??? Also lets say the QA db server goes down. So will the auto reaction email be sent out from the my CEN (the production system) or the Sol. man ?

Thanks for reading. Any inputs would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you mentioned that you have a Solution Manager in your landscape, I would recommend to setup the

SolMan as the CEN itself. SAP ITSAM Standard experts suggested me the same. The SolMan configur-

ation automatically connects it to the SMP. Furthermors, all you need to do is register the three

systems DEV, QA and PROD onto the SolMan.

Registering systems from availability monitoring is explained in the setup documents in SMP:

http://service.sap.com/solutiomanager

Once the systems are registered, any changes to the systems is notified via the SolMan/CEN.

Regards,

Srikishan

0 Kudos

Agree with Srikishan,

You can setup your solution manager as CEN.

And if you want to be 100% safe to get alerts even when the CEN is down, I would recomenf to use a third party alert system which will monitor CEN itself..

-Nishikant

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you both for your suggestions. What if I do not want to use Sol. man yet ?? then, what system should i choose as my CEN ?? What was recommended as CEN when sol man wasnt available ??

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

If there is no Solution manager then you can use the selection crietria which we use to configure the Transport domain, i.e., High availability,Highest possible release, etc.

If you have a Solman system in the landscape then there is no quetsion of choosing other system as the CEN.

Regards,

Yoganand.V

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

In the presence of Solution Manager, SolMan has to be the CEN. However, in its absence, I would suggest what your friend already told you to make the PROD server as CEN as the PRD bein the most critical environment amongst the rest. Moreover some settings for CCMS config would have to be done in the DEV and then transported in the PRD system.

Regards

Chen