cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

j2ee_admin / administrator vs <sid>adm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can anybody briefly explain me when and where do we need to use <sid>adm.

when the super users j2ee_admin(ABAP+JAVA)/administrator(JAVA Stack ) has the highest authorizations, why do we use <sid>adm ? I read JSPM and Configtool requires <sid>adm..where else we must use <sid>adm ?

I tried help.sap & sdn, couldn't find exactly what i am looking for..but,i still have a confusion.

In JAVA Stack can i use Administrator in Configtool to change the config instead of <sid>adm ?

where should i use Administrator..If a user is getting assigned a necessary roles, we may not need to use Administrator right ?

Please help me get rid of this confusion.

Thanks in advance.

Addy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SIDADM is a OS user which is created during the install process. It has nothing to do with the application users. Administrator (in case of STANDALONE JAVA) / J2ee_admin ((in case of Dual Stack) are the SAP application users which are used to administer the system

Configtool is called which the above users, which is stored in the secure area of the tool.(You can call config tool and it will ask :Do you want to connect to DB: Say no there to check the user secure store)

When the system is installed, the system sets the Environment variable for user SIDADM, so that you can call the related programs.

In ABAP system a SAPSERVICE ID is used to execute the programs as well as start and stop a service.

Thanks Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirmal,

Thanks for your reply.

1.My question is whether we can use Administrator ( Ours is Standalone JAVA ) in Config tool to change the JVM Parameters ?

2.I read documents which says we can use <sid>adm for configuring.but,Is it possible to use Administrator for Configtool / where esle we must use Administrator and where Configtool.

Can you please clarify it ?

Thanks in ahead.

Addy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SIDAM is not a JAVA / SAP application user. In case of standalone JAVA, the main administrative user is Administrator. For any administration purpose, you must use administrator.

SIDADM is just a OS user and which has all the enviroenment variable set, so that you can call the tools like Visual admin, config tool

When you call configtool, it should not ask for any password, since the user "Administrator" is stored in the user secure area.

Login to http://<hostname>:<port no>/index.html .

Select user admin.

Search for user Administrator and check for roles, which you can even assign to your username and call the tools like visual admin or config tool.

Try searching for sidadm. you will NOT find it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nirmal,

when you say using <sid>adm i can call configtool,what is the main difference in using <sid>adm and Administrator.? can i use either administrator OR <sid>adm..For JVM parameters change i remember using <sid>adm earlier ( but for dual stack )

Do you mean to say, If my user id is assigned with administrator role, i can use my id to login configtool without password

Appreciate your valuable time...Thanks!

Addy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nirmal,

Ours is Standalone JAVA EP 7.0. my username is assigned with Administrator and Super Administrator roles.And i've added the groups and roles to my UID as Administrator and <sid>adm has. but, i am still not able to use my UID/PW for opening Configtool or Standalone logviewer.SuperAdmin role doesn't have any value here ?

Do you have any specific link or doc for JAVA tools.In standalone JAVA, where exactly i need to use Administrator and where <sid>adm.

Appreciate your time.

Addy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think you are confused between the windows user "Administrator" and Windows user "SIDADM"

When it comes to SAP appliaction, "Administrator is a user which gets created in the JAVA database". Here we are not talking about the windows user admnistrator. Just forget this user.

Now, Whenever you login to the server using remote desktop please use SIDadm (Windows user) to oogin to the console.

To call configtool, use the user administrator, which gets created in local JAVA database to login.

Hope you find this useful.

Thansk Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

> I think you are confused between the windows user "Administrator" and Windows user "SIDADM"

Its a Solaris Box..( not windows ) i am confused whether to use "Administrator" (j2ee admin user) or <sid>adm. because both are admin users and both uses the same "Master Password"..why not my UID/PW which has "super admin" role ?

I am trying to find the exact difference between all the above three. Its for Standalone JAVA EP 7.0 on Solaris.

> Now, Whenever you login to the server using remote desktop please use SIDadm (Windows user) to login to the console.

We use WRC reflection to connect to remote gui application like VA or Configtool.

> To call configtool, use the user administrator, which gets created in local JAVA database to login.

Hope you understand my situation..Thanks for your time.

Addy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If i understood it right, you cannot use SIDadm to login to Configtool or VA. Both share same password, since that was a part of the installation. Sidadm is a OS user while administrator is a Application user.

Yes you can user your userid password, if created from the User management of the Java and have same previliges as an administrator.

Please check the url

http://<hostname>:<port>/index.html, click on user management for details.

If you have the same rights as an administrator, you can create a entry in VA and login.

Thanks Nirmal

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have LDAP environment. When i checked my Userid in User Management, i see that i am assigned with the Groups what Administrator and <sid>adm has.And both Administrator and <sid>adm have no roles explicitely assigned ( showing no roles at all ).

Data source for Administrator is UME Database and <sid>adm & my UserID is LDAP.

I am able to use VA. The only problem is with Configtool.Many experts said i must use <sid>adm.

What is use of Administrator since its meant for Application, Super Admin roles which is supposed to have all the rights.

Or no matter what installation type is..( ABAP, DUAL, JAVA ), we have to use <sid>adm for any configuration changes in Configtool and running JSPM ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Addy 365 . You have <sid>adm in UME only in case of :

We have LDAP environment

it comes from here, but you can't use it in UME managemeny directly. This user uses for "start" the required application ...

To start JSPM you only can use <sid>adm user on OS level, but about config tool -->

i'm without any problem start the configtoll.bat on windows server's under other user's (not <sid>adm).

That error you see if you trying to start it under your user?

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> i'm without any problem start the configtoll.bat on windows server's under other user's (not <sid>adm).

We have it on Solaris 10 Server in EP 7.0 as a Standalone JAVA.

> That error you see if you trying to start it under your user?

Yes. my UID/PW with Super admin and Administrator roles

For ABAP, we use <sid>adm for Admin. In case of standalone JAVA "Administrator" user comes into picture. Does an User having Super admin and Administrator roles have any value in here ?

I was told to use <sid>adm for JSPM & Configtool ( for Standalone JAVA )

I would like to know the exact difference between using <sid>adm / Administrator / User ( having Super admin & Administrator roles ) on ABAP / Dual Stack / Standalone JAVA..

Thanks and Appreciate your time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

DEAR try to read Carefully all POST BEFORE .

FOR ABAP+JAVA stuck you not use "SID"ADM" you use the user J2EE_ADMIN , do not MIX OS user's and UME user's ! "SID"ADM are OS user;

administrator UME for only JAVA ,

j2ee_admin it's for ABAP+JAVA.

To start any of all JAVA tools( VA , config , JSPM) you can start it all under "sid"adm OS user.

After you start VA you can login under your (UMEuser) if you do some steps (you know it from other post)

For JSPM you only MUST start it on OS level under "SID"adm user (where it ask's you the password in UME? Only SDM password required).

configtool can you post error if you trying to start it under other user(not "SID"adm ) on OS level?

POST ERROR if you see it.

Try to read it on help.sap.com

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/DE/9f/d770424edcc553e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Below is the error when i tried to use my user id for logging in configtool..( able to use VA )

( Solaris 10 - EP 7.0 - Standalone JAVA )

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/forums]

Error while loading the securestore..

Msg: File"/sapmnt/<SID>/global/security/data/SecStore.properties" does not exist although it should

I was told to use <sid>adm for configtool in other postings..my confusion is whether i can use my user id with super admin & administrator roles.

If i'm not wrong i should be able to use <sid>adm or Administrator for any administration or configuration purpose since both requires the same master password ? ( excluding <sid>adm with SDM password for JSPM )

Appreciate your valuable time in helping me..Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Msg: File"/sapmnt/<SID>/global/security/data/SecStore.properties" does not exist although it should

In this your error, are you able to navigate in this path and check the file SecStore.properties ?

I'm think owner are "SID"ADM for this file and you cant read it under your OS user.

Try to check it, are you have Basis admin in your site? Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Even if the owner is <sid>adm for this file, The other users may not be able to read or modify the file.but,any user could be able to check whether the file exist in the particular path right ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you think so , may be this file are unreadable for your user?

Try to navigate using FTP, or direct from remote Xbrowser,telnet,putty. or other tool.

Are you see this file under your user?

Regadrs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I remember i was able to get into the security/data folder and the SecStore.properties file is not in there.

Even i was checking if possible to copy or create the file. ( I posted a question how to create a scstore.properties file )

When i tried now, access was denied to security/data folder direct/indirect from Xbrowser..not able to use putty as well..I guess i may need to check the permissions for my user in solaris..

What are all the * Is there any * possibilities to use my user id for configtool ( like solaris permissions,roles check etc. )

Or I must use <sid>adm or Administrator..? Please guide me..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing the thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SIDADm is a OS user which is created during the install process. It has nothing to do with the application users. Administrator (in case of STANDALONE JAVA) / J2ee_admin ((in case of STANDALONE JAVA) are the SAP application users which are used to administer the system

Configtool is called which the above users, Ehich is stored in thesecure area of the tool.

When the system is installed, the system sets the Envirenment variable for user SIDADM, so that you can call the related programs.

In ABAP system a SAPSERVICE ID is used to execute the programs as well as start and stop a service.

Thanks Nirmal