cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OER, evnet managemnet and AUTO ID

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please brief me about the differences between OER, event management and AUTO ID.

if possible with an example.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP AII

Main Functions

1) Connect RFID physical world with IT world of backend systems. eg. SAP ERP

2) Collect RFID reads and run business rules. ie Make sense out of raw RFID data and relate business events to RFID data

3) Act as a middleware between device software (device controller layer/middleware) and ERP systems

4) Maitainance of RFID master data (devices, locations, number ranges, products, etc)

SAP EM

Main functions

1) Give tracebality and control over RFID events

2) Enable notification of events (overdue/incomplete/proper/expected/unexpected) events

3) Give business intelligence over the RFID events

SAP OER

Main functions

1) Enable sharing of RFID data across intra and external organizations

2) Manage local RFID SAP AII centrally

4) number range management

5) Query RFID data centrally

6) Enabling other organizations to query RFID data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So,Is it possible to implement SAP AII only?

In the same way,Shall we implement SAP EM ?

If we are not going with SAP OER,what would be the disadvantages and advantages.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes its possible only to implement SAP AII.

Basically if this is the case when an organization is under a certain mandate to use RFID but dont want to invest much in the same. They can go only for SAP AII. This is called Slap & Ship Implementation of SAP AII.

SAP EM only can also be implemented stand alone along with SAP AII ( no SAP OER ) for track-trace, event notifications and alerting requirements

Disadvantages when SAP OER is not implemented:

1) No central management possible if we use multiple AII acorss different locations

2) RFID data cant be collected from other organizations also ( There can be a need that in a supply chain your partner gives you information about RFID reads)

3) RFID data not present at a central place

4) No way of querying data from a single place

5) No query interface

6) No way of complying to world wide EPCIS (Electronic Prodcut Code Information System) standards

7) Cant work collabaratively with other organizations to have a supply chain wide visibility of RFID tagged assets

Advantages when SAP OER is implemented:

1) Central management of local AII

2) Self and other organizations can input RFID read events into SAP OER

3) Not necessary to use SAP AII as system middleware. Similar applications to OER can post RFID events. Posting can even be done manually through OER interface

4) Compliance to EPCIS standards (new RFID standards) to be adopted. Very nice standards

5) Easy way of querying RFID data from OER through standard XML and Web service based query interface

6) Easy system landscape management

7) Various scenarios available to be implemented

😎 Less total cost of operations

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP AII

SAP EM

SAP OER

These three above mentioned components are the part of SAP's RFID Solution Suite.

Let us take a simple scenario

I have a large organization with all its data control centers at a central location in US

I have many business units across the globe which collect RFID reads and sent it to central US location

At every local location i ll have SAP AII which will collect RFID reads, filter them, run appropriate business rules and send it to a central location. Please note here SAP AII different from SAP AII inside SAP OER

SAP OER comprises both - SAP EM and SAP AII

SAP AII in SAP OER will collect these data from local SAP AII's and responsible for their management ( eg. Number ranges,etc)

When multiple local SAP AII are implemented there is a need of a central SAP OER to have data at a central location and manage local AII's

SAP EM is Event Management. When business rules run in SAP AII and sent to SAP OER the EM compoent within it will manage these data as events and let me track what events occured at what location and at what time giving me control over these events. If these events are not recorded at a certain defined time i can also define alerts on them and notifty the event owners so that they can take care for it

Note : SAP EM can be independtly deployed also. Not necessarily as part of SAP OER

But to implement SAP OER it is mandatory to have SAP EM and SAP AII within SAP OER implemented (sorry for all the confusions)

SAP OER centrally will thus give me inputs for decision making and business intelligence (reports over all the events )

I hope its clear