cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Solution Manager Implementation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm about to implement SAP Solution Manager to our company and I have some questions and concerns. I'm just a little bit confused with the following:

1. We have 4.7 (6.20) version of SAP R/3 and I want to order SAP Solution Manager. Which version should I order, SOLMAN 3.2 or SOLMAN 4? If 3.2 do they still ship it? Or I should already use version 4 for the project.

2. We migrated and upgraded to R/3 4.7 last 2007 and I requested a bunch of CD's for the project. Does it already include the Solution Manager installtion software?

3. Is 1GB memory enough to run SAP Solution Manager? As per documentation, 512 MB is the minimum and I would like to use the full functionality of SOLMAN as for solution monitoring, service desk, Change management and Knowledge base.

Thanks,

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit and Markus,

Thank you so much for the time and in sharing. You helped me a lot! Cheers!

Former Member
0 Kudos

though the cost is high,u get a lot better performance with Oracle and when u run inti big installations,i dont think anyone prefers MaxDB

Also there are many features lacking in MAX DB such as auto extend feature.....

Rohit

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

though the cost is high,u get a lot better performance with Oracle

who says that? Did you check into MaxDB parameters and settings as deep as you know the Oracle ones (maybe)?

and when u run inti big installations,i dont think anyone prefers MaxDB

MaxDB performs for ERP installation as well as other databases (see the benchmarks).

Also there are many features lacking in MAX DB such as auto extend feature.....

Don´t know where you get your information from:

Switching on/off Automatic Extension of the Data Area:

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/43/d77b97058201b4e10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

Note: not offending you or anyone else - but judgements about databases and their features/performance are in most cases VERY global(ly wrong), in most cases it´s just because one is experienced in one or the other.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello John,

1. I would say you go with Solution manager 4.0 as in future you might upgrade to ECC 6 and then it will be a disadvantage if you are having solman 3.2

2. You will have to ask for solution manager 4 software.

3. 1Gb memory is more than enough.

which OS and database will you be using?

You also can refer to notes 903494,394616 and and 949220 notes.

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the fast response. I will be using the IXS of our iSeries machine. With OS Windows Server 2003 Standard edition but I'm still looking into what database to use. My option are SQL or SAPDB (MaxDB). What DB would you recommend?

Regards,

Francis

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey,

I would have suggested neither SQL or Max DB.Oracle is the best but still if you want to use SQL or MAX DB,I would recommend to go for SQL surely

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are you inputs about MAX DB? Is it hard to administer? Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

No,I have worked with MAX DB and it is not at all hard,just that u have a better support for SQL and Oracle in the market compared to MAX DB.

and I guess Oracle is the best one....u just love it when u work on it

Rohit

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> No,I have worked with MAX DB and it is not at all hard,just that u have a better support for SQL and Oracle in the market compared to MAX DB.

MaxDB is optimized for SAP applications, we use it on all our installations (up to > 2 TB systems). You may be right that there is no big market share for MaxDB outside of SAP but since you want to run SAP applications on top..

> and I guess Oracle is the best one....u just love it when u work on it

Well - if you see the number of patches you need to apply, the number of parameters you need to adapt (Oracle is VERY high maintenance) and the fact, that you pay the highest amount of maintenance for your SAP licenses if you use Oracle as underlying database I would really think about it

Markus