cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Graphics Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've been advised by the basis team that an iChart on one of my pages is using too much CPU, and they suggest utilising the Internet Graphics Server (IGS), already running on our server. I've never heard of it, can MII use it?

I'm running v12.0.2 b88. The iChart in question is a custom chart, with a variance line, and stacked bars showing supply/demand (basically a graphical view of MD04, sorted by time period rather than WBS Element). For our most important materials it can get quite large!

Many thanks

Nick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nick, a while ago I wrote a set of custom actions for MII that allow MII datasets to be sent to the IGS, rendered, and returned as images. It's definitely do-able!

0 Kudos

Nick,

Make sure Use Screen Resolution is unchecked in your display template. If not, your row count setting will be ignored.

Good luck,

Mike

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Feb 13, 2009 1:18 PM

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Mike - My guess is that they've already unchecked this setting and the query template's RowCount property is set to a bagillion, which similar to Ryan's comment might be causing the problem in the browser jvm memory. Even UseScreenResolution enabled with a full screen iChart on a 1680 pixel widescreen display would not set a row count higher than around 1600 (minus the legend, Y-Axis, etc).

@Nick - are you sure it's CPU and not JRE memory allocation by the browser? Are you getting an error in the java console?

0 Kudos

Perhaps he would be better off using the screen resolution to limit the rowcount, then.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you just generate an image of the chart in a BLT?

0 Kudos

Sure, but you lose all the applet stuff. And the query will remain the same only it executes within BLS instead of an applet. Not sure it would reduce the "footprint" any.

Edited by: Michael Appleby on Feb 13, 2009 4:11 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nick,

You can learn about IGS [here|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwmobile71/helpdata/en/17/86c039c7811f11e10000000a114084/frameset.htm]. As for performance gains, you need to trim your data set that is feeding the iChart. You can use Ryan's suggestion or you can create another MII object for more detailed material info. It depends on the user's requirements and what they want to see. MII is flexible enough to have a selection event in your chart populate another chart/grid for drill down purposes.

Regards,

Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem probably is not with the iChart Display Template, but with the Query Template being used. I'd focus more on optimizing the query, possibly through reduced row count.