cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install SMD Agent on a MSCS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello helpers,

we have installed a PI 7.1 (double stack) on a MSCS environment. The next step is to connect the PI 7.1 SAP system to our SolMan and to install the diagnostics agent. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any documentation explaining an installation of the SMD Agent in a MSCS environment.

Does anybody know what has to be done? Do I have to install 3 agents, one on every MSCS node and one in the SCS/ASCS cluster resource group, or is only one agent needed in the SCS/ASCS cluster resource group?

Looking forward for any answers,

Sascha Piotrowsky

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

you have to install one Diagnostics Agent per virtual hostname. The agent should be then "moved" together with the hostname in case of a failover.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

thanks for your response. Now the dark gets brighter. But for better understanding waht do you mean with "virtual hostname"?

From the MSCS point of view we have two virtual hostnames. One for the SCS and ASCS services (ABAP and JAVA message, enqueue server) and one for the DB. Both are network name cluster ressources.

From the SolMan or SMD Agent point of view I think there are three virtual hostnames possible. One for SCS and ASCS, one for the Instance hosted on node A and one for the Instance hosted on node B. I'm sure that the min. of SMD Agents should be two, one on ervery node and installed instance there. The question is do need I need a third SMD Agent for the SCS and ASCS hosted as the cluster ressource?

Kind regards,

Sascha

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

a virtual hostname is a name and an IP Adress under which the cluster can be reached from the outside. When I udnerstand your setup right, you have three hostnames as you described. Please ensure during the setup of the agents, that you provide them with the correct hostnames.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

ok, that's clear. To avoid any further misunderstandings:

There is a cluster with 2 nodes, nodeA and nodeB. On each node a SAP Application Instance is installed, on "nodeA" the ABAP and JAVA instance "SID_D10/11_nodeA" with an lokal DIR_EXECUTABLE and on "nodeB" the ABAP and JAVA instance "SID_D10/11_nodeB" with also an lokal DIR_EXECUTABLE. As a cluster ressource the ASCS00/SCS01 is named "clusterSID" with the DIR_CT_RUN directory.

To distribute a solution to the diagnostics the install path must be verified in TC SMDIAG_WIZARD. To verify the install paths an installed SMD-AGENT is neccessary.

Another point is that we like to monitor the J2EE Servers and Dispatchers from the 2 instances on "nodeA" and "nodeB". So in my opinion at least 2 SMD-Agent should be installed, one on every node. Do you agree?

But what shall I do with the ASCS00/SCS01 instance. Does an SMD-Agent installation bring any effort on "clusterSID" or is it a must?

Thanks for your patience,

Sascha

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

To distribute a solution to the diagnostics the install path must be verified in TC SMDIAG_WIZARD. To verify the install paths an installed SMD-AGENT is neccessary.

Yes

Another point is that we like to monitor the J2EE Servers and Dispatchers from the 2 instances on "nodeA" and "nodeB". So in my opinion at least 2 SMD-Agent should be installed, one on every node. Do you agree?

No, you need one SMD Agent, this agent can then monitor multiple instances on one virtual host. The connection is only between virtual host and agent, not between instance and agent.

But what shall I do with the ASCS00/SCS01 instance. Does an SMD-Agent installation bring any effort on "clusterSID" or is it a must?

It's not a must, only relevant if you want to receive host metrics from this host. As this is only virtual, I would not install one here.

Best regards

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to everybody,

many thanks for your answers. They were very helpfull.

I already installed the SMD-Agents. This was my way:

On every physical host a SMD-Agent was installed, but with the virtual name of the ASCS instance. As result there are two SMD-Agents registered at the SolMan Diagnostics with the same virtual name but different server hostname.

Have a nice day!

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sascha,

In case of 2 node cluster with SAP instance is installed locally on both the nodes, you need to install the SMD agent on both the nodes.(It is as like you have to install SMD agents on each application server if you have that setup). And you do not need to do anything else pertaining to the ASCS and SCS instance.(I have worked on the same setup).

Thanks,

Varun