Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document storage advice required

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good day,

Our developers are doing a project that involves processing Purchasing Invoices that have been scanned and converted to PDF. They are using ArchiveLink and at the moment are storing these documents directly in the database. They(developers) were under the impression they were simply linking the documents from the file system but I don't think that is correct. It is still under development.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I would just like to know if there are any other implications to storing approximately 2000 x 130kb PDF documents on average per month in a ERP database ? I know it will eventually effect our backups and restore times but as far as MaxDB is concerned is the database usually configured in a specific way to handle this kind of thing like on Content Management Server ?

I would like them to move the documents to Content Management Server or a 3rd party solution like ImageNow and just need some advice.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Nelis

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After doing some more research I came across notes 653774 which states "..file repositories have been eliminated as of Basis Release 6.10. If a file repository is used in a live system, the data can no longer be addressed after a release upgrade to Basis Release 6.10 (or later version)." ...so that will prove helpful

Also note 595663 gives information on using ArchiveLink with database storage and mentions it should only be used with smaller datasets, for production SAP Content Server should be used.

This more or less gives me the info I require.

I'm still curious to know whether MaxDB is specifically setup differently on Content Server to handle large volumes of binary documents ?

Nelis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nelis,

> This more or less gives me the info I require.

great! well done, less work for us

> I'm still curious to know whether MaxDB is specifically setup differently on Content Server to handle large volumes of binary documents ?

Nope - nothing to consider in special.

MaxDB is able to handle multi-terrabyte content servers right out of the box without any necessary changes.

regards,

Lars