cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution Manager having serious issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

When I am trying to log on to my SolMan system it is giving me an error called Runtime error:

SNAP_NO_NEW_ENTRY.

Due to this I am not able to run any t-code.Not even I can run st22.In the error analysis it is saying that Table SNAP already contains so many short dumps that it cannot take on any more.My database is SQL server 2005 & os win 2003.

I also found that the transaction log directory is almost full. I have tried to folllow note 1224089 to shrink the logfiles.

But failed to do so. I have tried to shrink using windows authentictaion but nothing happened. But in the note mentioned

Connect to the server (use user 'SA' and Password where the file to be shrunk is located).

What is the password of user SA ???

Please guide me.

Regards,

Partha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read,

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

If I try to delete the content of SNAP table to get rid of the problem using the command

delete from sm1.SNAP

But I got the message :

The transaction log for database 'SM1' is full. To find out why space in the log cannot be reused, see the log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases

column log_reuse_wait_desc column in sys.databases contains the following

master NOTHING

tempdb NOTHING

model NOTHING

msdb NOTHING

SM1 LOG_BACKUP

Can any one tell me the resolution ??

Regards,

Partha

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just take a backup of the transaction log and that should sort the problem

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Our client's system department takes care of this issue. They take the backup by scheduling from DB13. But now it is also not possible as no t_code can be executed from R3 level.

Can we take the backup of this using SQL Server Managemnet Studio ???

Or any other process you recomend.

Regards,

Partha

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can take a backup of the transaction logs directly from Enterprise manager, once the backup is done the system will be back on track.

Regards

Juan

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

After taking the backup system is resolved.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have enough space in the database? Best person to contact for SA password is your system/db administrator.

Hope this helps.

Manoj Chintawar

Former Member
0 Kudos

do you login as sidadm (e.g. d01adm) user in OS level to access your database?

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the note 11838 also to clear the SNAP table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The note is not relevant for my case as I have already mentioned that I am unable to execute any t_code. Please check my previous post.

Is there any other work around.

One more thing if I stop the SAP and DB, then copy the transaction log to any usb drive and then delete it from the drive --- what could be the possible effect ???

Regards,

Partha

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess you are looking right note for SQL transaction log shrink.

You might be aware that this occurs if you leaves the databases in full recovery mode.

As you have asked

What is the password of user SA ???

This is what you specify at the time of SQL Database installation when selecting "Authentication Mode"

Check SAP installation docu. for SQL db , at this stage it says

Select Mixed Mode (Windows Authentication and SQL Server Authentication).

This mode is required for a Java or ABAPJava system.+

If you choose this mode, you have to set the password for the sa login.

Possibility of setting this password same as master password for may cases....

try logging in using this ID as per note and follow the same to shrink ....

Check Note [37916|https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=37916] for more details on SA password policy ...

Just in case if you have forgot the password... Follow Note 864220

-

Better not to go for 2nd option... Deletion of transaction log. As per this [Link|http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873235]

Microsoft Suggest: The transaction logs are very important to maintain the transactional integrity of the database. Therefore, you must not delete the transaction log files even after you make a backup of your database and the transaction logs.

Lets us know your progress.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amit !!!!

But still problem not resolved as it is not shrinked by the margin we reqired. So we talked to SAP and going for the second option.

Can you tell me that can we delete the content of snap table from server management studio ??

If possible how can iI delete the content --- any steps ???

I will let you know the proceeding.

Thanks and regards,

Partha

Former Member
0 Kudos

If SAP has suggested so then may be you can...

Personally I never used SQL Management studio to modify tables but How about using SQL Statement it could be more feasible.

connect sqlplus from your command prompt as sysdba

Note:Before modifying you db it is always recommended to have consistent backup.

1. Check the SNAP table using select statement to show column names and data.

Check this [SQL Link|http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_select.asp] for referance

2. You can delete each row or delete all the SNAP table contents using DELETE statements.

Check this [Link|http://www.w3schools.com/Sql/sql_delete.asp] for referance...

Better take help of dba if you are not sure...

Cheers!