cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root Cause Analysis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sirs,

We are developing a Java Web application, based on NWDI components model, that will be deployed on SAP NW CE AS which is monitored by SAP Solution Manager Root Cause Analysis.

I have two questions and I will be very thankful if anybody can help me.

1. Are there any benefits monitoring a Java WebDynpro application with Root Cause Analysis tools than monitoring a regular Java Web application? Which?

2. Can Root Cause Analysis monitor the Software Components of our application?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Taciana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Taciana,

answering your questions.

Are there any benefits monitoring a Java WebDynpro application with Root Cause Analysis tools than monitoring a regular Java Web application? Which?

There are multiple benefits when using RCA despite from monitoring:

- You can use Wily Introscope for real time monitoring of SAP J2EE based applications

- You have aggregated worklaod and exception data in the RCA workcenter

- You have the possibility to "End-to-End Trace" your application to identify problem causing components

For an overview and multiple demos, please refer to http://service.sap.com/diagnostics . There you can find Demos and Userguides for all the RCA applications.

Can Root Cause Analysis monitor the Software Components of our application?

If you are SAP J2EE based you can benefit from all the SAP standard delivered instrumentation.

Hope this helps and best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you for you answer.

I still have a couple of questions. Could you help me?

> There are multiple benefits when using RCA despite from monitoring:

> - You can use Wily Introscope for real time monitoring of SAP J2EE based applications

> - You have aggregated worklaod and exception data in the RCA workcenter

> - You have the possibility to "End-to-End Trace" your application to identify problem causing components

Are those benefits only valid for monitoring SAP Java WebDynpro applications? Or are they also valid for monitoring SAP Java Web applications?

Are there any advantages of SAP Java WebDynpro apps over plain SAP Java Web apps considering RCA will be used for monitoring?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Taciana

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Taciana,

In Introscope are already precompiled Dashboards for SAP standard infrastructure components like WebDynpro, but you can always use the Introscop Investigator to perform a manual drill-down to all metrics available.

I think the best way to familarize yourself with Introscope and it's possibilites by looking at the demos available in the Media Library under http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

For example you will find there a demo on the use of Introscope in an Enterprise Portal Environment:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700001094862007E/SP13_Wily_EP.htm

This gives a good overview of the functionality and the usage of the tool.

Hope this helps

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you again for you answer. It was really helpful.

I have seen some of the demos and documentation that are on http://service.sap.com/diagnostics. I still have another couple of questions. I hope you don't mind answering them.

1. It seems that Root Cause Analysis focus is the monitoring of SAP Solutions. Is that right?

2. I really would like to understand if RCA can be used to monitor our SAP Java Web app. If the answer is yes, do I have do modify our app to be monitored by RCA?

3. I have found a presentation from SAP named "E2E Solution Operation" and there is an example that shows that the Workload Analysis can monitor SQL queries of SAP Enterprise Portal. Is it possible to monitor the SQL queries of our SAP Java Web app?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Taciana

mkloeffer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Taciana,

sorry for the dely in answering

1. It seems that Root Cause Analysis focus is the monitoring of SAP Solutions. Is that right?

Yes, but the tools used can be extended for other solutions/products as well (especially Introscope).

2. I really would like to understand if RCA can be used to monitor our SAP Java Web app. If the answer is yes, do I have do modify our app to be monitored by RCA?

The goal of RCA is not monitoring and alerting, but identifying the problem causing component/application. but nevertheless you can use Introscope to real-time monitor and trace J2EE based applications.

3. I have found a presentation from SAP named "E2E Solution Operation" and there is an example that shows that the Workload Analysis can monitor SQL queries of SAP Enterprise Portal. Is it possible to monitor the SQL queries of our SAP Java Web app?

Yes, defintely, because we instrumented the JDBC infrastructure in the standard.

Best regards

Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thank you very for answering my questions. It was really helpful.

Sorry for taking so long to reply you.

Best regards,

Taciana