cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernel update - problen in copying kernel uncar files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Am updating kernel running on AIX with ECC6.0 ,

i uncard all the executable files in /cddump/newker/exe.

when am trying to copy as # cp -pr * /sapmnt/SID/exe, am getting error as "Cannot open or remove a file containing a running program.", i checked is there any process running with

ps -aef |grep sap, ps -aef |grep <SID>, there was some process running, i killed those process and started copying again, but again am getting the same error.

Kindly suggest.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As the above followup states, make sure your sap system, and database are properly shutdown. Also, make sure that the saposcol process is not running ( ps -ef | grep saposcol ) . Also, stop the listener.

Then copy the new kernel. once its copied, make sure the permission of saposcol is adjusted by running saproot.sh script.

Go to Kernel Directory ( /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/exe/run )

[root ]# ./saproot.sh

Regards,

Jazz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for replying.

i have all the process , no process running, the file which is getting as in use, i have renamed those files and continue copying, this has been resolved the problem. But i dont think this is the correct way.

Regards!!

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Usually the best practice is to copy the kernel to a new folder example /sapmnt/<Sid>/exe_new then when all the permissions have been checked, stop the system move exe to exe_old (so you keep a backup just in case) and move exe_new to exe and start the system again.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

After doing this you need to run saprooth.sh SID, this will adjusts all the permissions to the files.

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Remember to stop database and SAP along with SAPOSCOL before copying the files.

Hope this helps.

Manoj Chintawar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not necessary to stop the DB. SInce the SAP Application is down and the dll or exe related to DB will not be executed.

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have stopped the SAP Application and also stop all the server which are related to SAP. Mostly saposcol will be running. stop saposcol service and try replacing exe file. I Hopeu have taken a backup of the exe dir.

Mahesh