cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Copy from PRD --> DEV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We need to transport Masterdata and Transactionaldata from PRD --> DEV.

I've been reading a little about "Client Copy" and have some questions.

Hardware is no issue

I was thinking about taking ALL MasterData and ALL Trans.data from client PRD-300 to Client DEV-300.

Our Development Client is DEV-300

What will happend with the version management control of our development objects ? Will they be affected with a Client Copy of this kind ?

(I have also been reading a little bit about TDMS but its tooooo expensive...)

Br,

Martin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

a copy from PRD to DEV is not a recommended procedure. In your case, i would say, the version history should stay intact. Personally, i have never done that, though. One of our customer needed a copy from PRD to DEV a while ago and we exported the version history by following the instructions in "Note 130906 - How can versions be transported?".

Regards,

ulf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why is it not a recomended stategy ? According to your answer we don't touch the repository objects. There is no need for exporting version management, right!?

Br,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are doing a client copy, there is no need to do worry about the version management as the repository objects are not changed. BUT, if you are planning for a system copy/refresh of the entire production to the development, you should follow that note.

Regards,

Jazz

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. OK. Do you agree that a Client Copy from RPD -->DEV can fix our problems with not having accurate data in DEV. We want MasterData as well as Transactiional data in DEV.

Let's say we want to make Client Copy every 6 months.

2. Do you know any other methods in transporting Master + Trans data from PRD --> DEV ?

//Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Doing a client export/import from production will bring the master data and transactional data. But normally people go for system refresh becuase taking the export from live production will degrade the perfomance at that time. So, normally, we do a system refresh with an available online backup.

Other way is TDSM. I have not used it till now because its expensive :). But heard its good.

Regards,

Jazz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

do you have a 2-tier or 3-tier landscape?

If there is a TeST-system, it's standard to leave the DEV-system alone and test the changes in TST. If not, your procedure is ok and necessary to have some reliable data for testing.

A 3-tier-landscpae is much better. The developers can develop without disturbing the testers, you have it much easier when applying patches or upgrading the system and so on.

Regards,

ulf

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yup.. Ulf is right. using the instructions in the Note 130906 - How can versions be transported , the transport versions can be retained.

Next time, please use proper subject for your message.

Regards,

Jazz