cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Info About XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I m working in ABAP/BW and bit in SEM BPS .

And i would like to learn XI .

Can u please guide would it be helpful for me to make my carrier along with abap and bw ???

Jimmy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

First i would like to welcome to the fascinating world of XI.If it’s just that you wanted to know more about sap xi....then the information below should definitely help you.

The best way to learn XI would be to make the maximum use of XI from its forums, weblogs, presentations, etc in SDN.

First I thought I will just give u the basic steps involved in doing any scenario in XI. This is very essential for a beginner.

First of all you would need to define your product, software component, business system and configure the technical landscape in the sld.

You then go on to create the objects in the repository, you import your software component here and then begin your design steps. To import your RFCs n Idocs if you require any before proceeding.

Then under the name space which you want, you go on to define your data types, message types and message interfaces.

Then you do your message mappings where you specify your source and target message types and the relation between them, then you do your interface mapping. If you are using a BPM, you do the integration process.

Once you have this done, you will have to move to the directory, here is where you define how you use the objects and how you configure them to work as a scenario.

You assign your business system to the configuration scenario which you have created, and create the communication channels. Then you go on to configure the receiver determination, interface determination, and the sender and receiver agreements. Once you’re done you will have make sure you activate your objects. The exact parameters steps depend on what kind of scenario you are implementing.

You can use sxmb moni or the runtime workbench to monitor the entire scenario which you have done.

Also I would suggest this link on SAP help for any info that you want on XI,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/14/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Further, this thread deals with everything that is needed for a starter on XI. Do check them out,

/message/527697#527697 [original link is broken]

And after you are done with the documentation probably you can go through this scenario,

Also check the following threads which might help you a little more,

In simple words regarding learning XI, there is an abundance of information on SDN and help.sap.com…. So I think it will be better for you to search information there rather than me just providing you links….which will just go on and on and on….so I felt it is better for you to go and search so that not only you get information on SAP XI but also explore SDN in its real sense.

So since you wanted to know more about making carrier along with abap and bw....See for any SAP consultant ABAP will definitely be helpful and even in XI it will help you... and about BW....just see the info below.

The integration of SAP XI and SAP BW offers the following advantages:

• Central maintenance of message flow between logical systems of your system landscape.

• Options for transformation of message content between sender and recipient.

Mappings help you to adapt values and structures of your message to the recipient. In this way, you can transfer different types of files to a SAP BW system using interface mapping. However, in any case, it is necessary to transform the data into a format that corresponds to the interface of the function module that is generated in SAP BW and used for data transfer. The function module contains a table parameter with a flat structure. This means that the data have to be transformed so that they fit to a flat structure in SAP BW.

• Using proxy communication with SAP BW.

Proxies are executable interfaces generated in the application systems for communication with the SAP XI Integration Server. We recommend the use of proxies for communication with SAP BW because they guarantee Full Quality of Service (Exactly Once in Order). They also guarantee that the data is delivered only once and in the correct sequence. The SAP XI Integration Server keeps the serialization as it was established by the sender.

Also go thru these links which are really good and it answers your question very clearly:

http://www.sap.info/index.php4?ACTION=noframe&url=http://www.sap.info/public/INT/int/index/Category-...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/9b/821140d72dc442e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

http://www.microsoft-sap.com/technology.aspx

Regards,

Abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Abhy,

but i think it has gone over from my head .

what i want is XI needs the XML,JAVA nowlwdge ?

like what is the basic requirement to learn XI >?

and how it would be helpful te person like me who is working on BW ?

ya and about the points its already assign the 1 who have answered dont worry about it

Jimmy

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Does XI need XML and JAVA Knowledge.

this is a tricky question for which there has been lot of debate on SDN. But as someone who started on XI just a few months back, it does help to have a knowledge of JAVA when working on XI, but it <b> is not a requisite to learn XI</b>.

One can always learn the tricks of the trade once we take a plunge into it, and so irrespective of whether you know ABAP or JAVA, if you want to learn XI, you sure can with a little extra effort.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jimmy,

Go through the below urls for step by step procedure of different scenarios:

File-XI-File Scenarios:

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/02/introduction-to-simplefile-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart1

/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2

File-XI-JDBC Scenarios:

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/06/01/file-to-jdbc-adapter-using-sap-xi-30

/people/sameer.shadab/blog/2005/10/24/connecting-to-ms-access-using-receiver-jdbc-adapter-without-dsn

RFC-XI-WebService Scenarios:

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/23/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-1

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/28/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-2

BPM Scenario:

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2005/06/09/walkthrough-with-bpm

/people/arpit.seth/blog/2005/06/27/rfc-scenario-using-bpm--starter-kit

IDoc Scenarios:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/02/28/creating-sales-order-through-idoc

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/03/creating-purchase-order-idoc-through-xi

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/02/23/configuration-steps-required-for-posting-idocsxi

Mail Adapter Scenarios:

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/07/mail-adapter-scenarios-150-sap-exchange-infrastructure

For Mapping Scenarios:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/02/10/different-types-of-mapping-in-xi

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/08/16/message-mapping-simplified--part-i

/people/sravya.talanki2/blog/2005/12/08/message-mapping-simplified-150-part-ii

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/29/java-mapping-part-i

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/29/java-mapping-part-ii

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/29/java-mapping-part-iii

ABAP Proxy Scenarios:

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy

Java Proxy Scenarios:

/people/prasad.ulagappan2/blog/2005/06/27/asynchronous-inbound-java-proxy

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/04/03/abap-server-proxies

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/05/23/communication-between-sap-system-webservice-using-proxies

---Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Yes it will definitely be an added advantage if you have the knowledge of Java, ABAP and XML…Knowledge of ABAP as i told is needed as far as you’re a SAP consultant and about JAVA it is definitely equally important in writing user defined functions and many such needs of it will also arise and same is the case with XML also….

But once you start working with XI, I think you can pick it all up with little extra effort. Integration of SAP XI and SAP BW is also possible, so your BW knowledge might come to use there.

Regards,

abhy

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks dear,

can u please guide me how to start XI from basic ?

do u have any SAP XI document from which i can stat learning .

Casue i think that learning any SAP product is not very good from differnt doc but its very good start from SAP XI doc .

so if u have please send me my email id is gobagama@gmail.com

Jimmy

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

The best way to learn Xi is to use the wealth of material in SDN. Try to try scenario s practically. the first scenario that any one working on XI should try has to be a <a href="/people/venkat.donela/blog/2005/03/03/introduction-to-simple-file-xi-filescenario-and-complete-walk-through-for-starterspart2">File to File</a>

For all info you want on all XI material,

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you know Java, XML it will be aditional advantage but not basic requirement for learning XI.

SAP def propose that the all SAP system should be integrated using XI so it will also useful to you.

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Following thread has lot of information about XI.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/topcontributors

Following link has the demo of XI.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/docs?rid=/webcontent/uuid/110ff05d-0501-0010-a19d-958247c9f798#xi [original link is broken]

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Prateek,

but now i m more involved in BW than abap and movin towards SEM bps .

so what u think is it related to BW .

like i heard that BW 3.5 certification also needs XI information .

so i m confused weahter it is related to BW or would be helpful the person know BW

Jimmy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimmy,

Def knowledge of SAP will be very helpful to understand the XI. Also ABAP & XI is good combination and has good market value. It is def useful if you know one more product of SAP.

Do let me know if you need any help to learn XI.

Thanks,

Prateek

Message was edited by: Prateek Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

Iam having 3+ yrs Experience in java, which is best either Portal or XI

acc/ to job opportunites, salary

regards

Rakesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Learn XI would improve ur job opertunitis more comparitively with EP.

Reagrds,

venu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rakesh,

That is you who have to decide. In Netweaver you will be having EP, XI, MDM and BI. They all run on Web Application Server. This has two stacks ABAP and JAVA. Depending upon the companys requirement they use. They may either use one or combinaiton of both.

So either EP or XI may fit to you. For XI if you know core JAVA, XML and ABAP that would be OK. For EP JAVA or ABAP is OK. Regarding opportunities and salaries it depends in which country you leave? But since the market is good for netweaver you might find plenty of opportunities in both XI and EP.

---Mohan