Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with search option

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have one issue with searching..when i am searching for certain answers i am getting all the irrelevant answers or i can say the thread (questions ) where there is no answer(no one replied) are also comng..

Instead we can have one more option where we are selecting categoried we can also have additional option of resolved threads which will refine our search more better.

regards

sas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Instead we can have one more option where we are selecting categoried we can also have additional option of resolved threads which will refine our search more better.

I Like your point SaS.

On the other hand, I often search like [this|https://forums.sdn.sap.com/search.jspa?threadID=&q=schedule+agreement&objID=&dateRange] and pick the thread which have "black star" in tail(Solved threads).

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes...thats really good.... i never noticed that or any where highlighted either anyway...

Thats a good option....but one problem due to this closing of threads condition...Now adays we can see all the star ed threads

regards

sas

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

>Now adays we can see all the star ed threads

> regards

> sas

Right about that one. Because of the 10-Open-questions-only restriction, a lot of members just close the thread marked as answered, even though there might be no replies for the same.

And since a search as mentioned by Amit returns results based on "Resolved Questions" priority - most of these Unresolved yet closed threads come up as the top results.

One work-around to opening questions that do not have a single reply is to check for the Number of replies for the thread. So if the number of replies are 0, one obviously need not open that thread.

But it would be great if SCN can tweak this thing a bit. Couple of options are:

1. Return only those answers that have a post given 10-points rather than just short-closed (without resolution).

2. Delete all those 120K odd posts in SCN that do not have a single reply to that "resolved" thread.

This will really help a great deal in cutting through the weed of irrelevant posts, thereby reducing the search-and-resolve time.

pk

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes Pk,

Completly agree with what you said.....When i am searching for one answer and keep on searching i have found so many irrelavant answers...and i can see so many thread not answered as well..(Amits strategy i dont know at that time )

i found my answer after 14 pages after keep on searching for certain days...because..the answer is old one....it is sorted according to dates and Between pages so many unnecessary threads are coming..

I just suggest what you said is correct...

but one small correction...

> 2. Delete all those 120K odd posts in SCN that do not have a single reply to that "resolved" thread

Some questions are not answered at that time ...but if we come across such threads we can answer if we know ..might be helpful to some extent...

Imp suggestion is ...

i can say...instead of closing as resolved.....we can point as...

closed but not resolved yet another options along with points options...

There is option to keep comment at the end of thread but i dont think people are that much patient!!

regard

sas

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Feb 11, 2009 7:58 AM

Code tags removed to repair the formatting...

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> i can say...instead of closing as resolved.....we can point as...

> closed but not resolved yet another options along with points options...

> regard

> sas

This was something I missed out to mention in my post. Thanks for reminding.

May be SCN could include a different type of "closure" for threads as you have already mentioned, and lets say with a red star instead of the current black star.

And while searching the red stars be given lesser priority. Some ideas to return search result priority:

1st priority: 10-point answers

2nd priority: 6-point answers

3rd priority: 2 point answers

4th priority: Red Star closed threads.

and so on.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

> And while searching the red stars be given lesser priority. Some ideas to return search result priority:

>

> 2nd priority: 6-point answers

> 3rd priority: 2 point answers

> 4th priority: Red Star closed threads.

Personally I like this idea as well.

Of course the tables may turn on a thread if the rating is done too early, but the general idea of rating the threads in addition to single points allocation would be a very usefull feature for making the search more powerfull.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

Some ideas to return search result priority:

>

> 2nd priority: 6-point answers

> 3rd priority: 2 point answers

> 4th priority: Red Star closed threads.

>

> and so on.

>

> pk

Well..Pk this is what exactly expected thanks for taking pain in formatting proper way..

Small correction...

This red star should also included in the points side..i mean when allocating points to thread

for ex: Solved problem (10) 
 Very helpful answer (6) 
 Helpful answer (2) 
Helpful but not solved (1)

There should be a special option in the thread One for solved problem and another for closing the thread saying issue not solved with replies or say no replies for this thread.....

regards

sas

Ps: Unable to catch julius point exactly

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I meant was a rating of the whole thread by all who read it and find it via the search. Like a "thumbs up" or thumbs down" award ... which is then used as a "Sort by rating" criteria in the search.

Just a thought (which is what I though PK was indicating as well).

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well that was not what pk was thinking(though I have to admit its a good idea).

What I meant was, when the search returns results, its based on two parameters:

Sort By Relevance/Date and

Closed threads (indicating the thread has been answered)

Now a closed thread need not mean a resolved thread. The OP might not have got the answers and closed it because of the 10-open-question-rule.

Personally, I would not like to open these threads during a search, because its a waste of time and effort.

So lets say SCN introduces a new thread closing option - Closed But Not Resolved. These threads lets say, with a red star, should be given least priority in my search results.

I would rather prefer to look at threads that have the OP given 10-points for a particular post which gave the best resolvable answer to his question, than not given points and just closed it for the rule sake.

Second in the list should be threads that have 6-points as the maximum points awarded in the thread and so on. The red stars need to be last in the list, because they are still unresolved and hence is of no value to me while searching.

But yeah... a thumbs up and thumbs down on a thread is worth a shot

pk

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well..Julius ohh Thanks for clearing...

Good Idea Like that if implemented more useful!!

and Kishan correct what u said ......

I can say one thing that when 10 question condition started they didnt noticed ( or expected) the future problem :-(...almost now all the unaswered questions are also rewarded as answered questions with 10 points...But good thing is it's not to late to do the things hardly it started 6 months back i guess...

But if the above points are considered by our respect moderators and to make our search options more convinent and more precisible ( reducing time) moving further we can take care by keeping extra radio putton to close thread with not solved and in search options with additional refinery...

And That Thumps up down( just like yahoo answers , Rediff answer's ) is really good idea but hope it will take certain time to implement But remaning above we can have one more condition and another parameter

Just my opnion...

regards

sas

former_member184119
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well when i am searching regarding one FM RHPE_QUALI_CREATE in ALL(On the Top Right just beside Logg Off) i am getting 0 results..

[Like this|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/advancedsearch?cat=sdn_all&query=rhpe_quali_create&adv=false&sdn_author_name=&sortby=cm_rnd_rankvalue]

But when i search the same in sap forums by selecting abap general category i can see 2 results.....

[2 results|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/forums]

I wonder is there any specific reason behind results not displaying when searching in ALL option??

regards

sas

Why no mod atleast turned up!! Strange!!

Hello any respectful Mod is thereeeeeeeeeeeeeee????????????

Edited by: saslove sap on Feb 19, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers (0)