Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock User and Reset Password via DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've a SAP FI running on Oracle. I have the SAP ID but no password.

I've the access to the Oracle DB. How do I unlock the ID and reset the password via the DB.

Please advise.

TIA !

Desmond

7 REPLIES 7

pradeepmathewch
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have OS level access, go to Start -> Run -> Connect /sysdba/ (when you login like this, there is not authorisation reuired for Oracle)

Then you can unlock the user via running the normal SQL command.

Or else, login to BR TOOLS and from there you can change the password.

Hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards, Pradeep

0 Kudos

Hi,

May I know what are the SQL commands to run ?

I'm not referring to the Oracle DB ID, but the SAP ID which is stored in USR02.

Thanks !

0 Kudos

There was a dirty trick to do this in older releases because the password hash did not have a system specific attribute to it, but this no longer works in higher releases.

It was never supported to do this anyway, and you will with certainty create an inconsistency and a resultant mess.

The correct procedue is to ask an application user administrator to reset your password for you to an initial one, and then login yourself and change it to one of your own.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the info. What's the oldest release whereby this trick doesn't work ?

My SAP is ver 6.

TIA !

0 Kudos

Hi,

What if no one knows any password at all ??? Even the administrator !

0 Kudos

Actually, it did not really work in any release, but created a bigger mess in earlier releases and in higher releases the downward compatibility settings of the password hashes can be used to completely exclude updating the hash only to have any affect (except a lock-out....).

Of course, to get back into a system lockout caused by such "cowboy" actions... there is an emergency procedure. See [SAP Note 2383|https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2383].

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Desmond,

You can unlock SAP user id from DB level, but there is no way you can reset password for SAP user id from DB level.

Below is the command for unlocking user id from DB level.

Connect to orasid.

sqlplus "/as sysdba"

SQL>update sapr3.user02 set uflag=0 where bname='userid' and mandt='<clientno>'; -- for older SAP versions

From ECC 5

SQL>update sap<SID>.user02 set uflag=0 where bname='userid' and mandt='<clientno>';

Thanks,

Phani.