Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAPI or RFC Required to in ABAP webdynpro

former_member192283
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new to the ABAP webdynpro. But i have experience in JAVA webdynpro. In JAVA WD , will access the back system functionality using RFC. But if comes to ABAP WD, is it required the RFC or BAPI?

If required why it is required? what is the advantage of using the BAPI or RFC in ABAP webdynpro? Because ABAP WD is running on the same system.

If not required ? what is the advantages of with out using BAPI's

Please let me know what are pros and cons for the using the BAPI or RFC in ABAP WD.

Regards

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

BAPIs are still a good place to start even though you shouldn't feel that you are restricted to only their usage. BAPIs are good objects to use becuase generally they are well documented, are released and intended for usage by customers and are version controlled over releases. This makes them stable and easier to find.

However when working with WDA you also have access to all the enterprise services, any function module (not just remote enabled ones), any classes, and actually you can perform SQL statements directly in your WDA code as well. I don't recommend the last item as it is a bit of a violation of the MVC design model. Instead you should place your custom SQL statements into a class of your own and call that class from WDA.

However this close integration also means the easy reuse of all those data dictionary objects and their language elements. Data Dictionary search helps also come in very handy. I think you will find that developing with WDA is quite different from the aspect of the closeness to the underlaying business logic and data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi vijay,

Firstly welcome to our webdynpro learning world . :). As you said you are already aware of the wendynpro java . Almost all same functinality it follows as webdynpro abap, the thing which it differs is

for java to interact with the RFC or the Bapis u need to interact with the other engine but since u are working into the same area line webdynpro abap need not calll any other specific engine as the RFC or teh BAPI s reside in the same workspace . Simple!.

Hope you are aware of the MVC functionality which our webdynpro follows so these bapis and RFCs firstly they are reusable and the other importance is generally we run our webdynpro applications by embeding our applications into portal so for that sake we make our (rfc and BAPI s )are remote enabled.

such that our webdynpro applications run .

Hope it would help you .

Happy learning. Have a Good Day!

Regards,

Sana.

Sm1tje
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not required to use any BAPI (RFC) since, indeed, WD4A is running on the same 'system' and you don't have to access it via RFC.

What are the pros and cons? Actually there are no real pros or cons of using BAPI's or not. Standard BAPI's are always remote enabled (RFC's) and are normally called from external applications. However, often within the BAPI, your average standard function module (which is not remote enabled) can be called from within your WD application.

However, one of the advantages is, as mentioned before, the use of service calls, which will generate the coding for you. But, this can be done for non-Remote enabled function modules (RFC's) as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vijay,

you can directly access BAPI or rfc from WDA.click on pattern button and give the FM name and it will generate the code for you

Thanks

Bala Duvvuri