cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCOD environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have R/3 4.6C system on Oracle 9i. And both DEV and TST are in MCOD environment. We are planing to upgrade to ECC 6.0. Is there any change in the unicode/upgrade procedures for MCOD environment? As we have to upgrade first DEV and then TST. We see a restriction that unicode and Non-unicode systems can't coexist in MCOD environment.

Appreciate your help

Thanks,

Kris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Martin,

Thanks for reply. We are planing to upgrade to ECC 6.0. As we have DEV and TST systems are in MCOD environment. We want to upgrade one system at a time first DEV, TST and PRD systems.

If we upgrade first DEV to ECC 6.0 unicode, the new DEV ECC 6.0 can coexist with TST Non-unicode system in the MCOD? As it takes another 2 weeks before we complete TST upgrade. Since we red that Unicode system can't be installed with non-unicode system in the MCOD. We are not sure whether there are any constraints/concerns to upgrade MCOD systems

I hope your understand my concern.

Thanks,

Kris

martin_fuchs2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

thanks for your clarification. As I understand, you need for some time to run both non-UC and Unicode system on one database (MCOD). That's the information I got from the [MCOD FAQ page in SDN|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/3015b0c9-34ff-2a10-6898-99965a4e5c84#section32 [original link is broken]]:

9. Is the combination of Unicode and non Unicode based systems in a common database possible?

Currently only on the DB2/390 platform a combined installation of Unicode and non Unicode based systems is supported. With more actual releases from other vendors, SAP will support the combined installation also for other platforms. If you intend to combine Unicode and non Unicode systems, please contact SAP.

General MCOD information can be found here:

[ [original link is broken]| [original link is broken]]

Rgds,

Martin

Edited by: Martin Fuchs on Feb 10, 2009 5:29 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

9. Is the combination of Unicode and non Unicode based systems in a common database possible?

> Currently only on the DB2/390 platform a combined installation of Unicode and non Unicode based systems is supported. With more actual releases from other vendors, SAP will support the combined installation also for other platforms. If you intend to combine Unicode and non Unicode systems, please contact SAP.

What is really weird about that statement is the fact, that you "allow" to install Java AddIns e. g. to 6.40 and 7.00 based Non-Unicode systems. Java is Unicode only so the schema is too. I don´t get why there is a technical difference between a "Java Addin" as technically MCOD and a "real" ABAP MCOD schema.

Markus

martin_fuchs2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Kris,

there are so many details to be cautious with.

Please be more specific - otherwise we would have to spend a lot of time writing...

Regards,

Martin Fuchs

SAP AG