Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to build DC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

This is a question for discussion.

There are 2 ways we can build and deploy DCs.

I. According to SAP documentation DC build

1.Switch to the Java DC Explorer view.

2.In the context menu of your DC, choose Development Component ® Build...

3.In the dialog that appears, select your project node.

4.Choose OK.

II. Deploy new archive and run. Which is also in SAP Documentation for building a project.

• Search for "[Building, Deploying, and Running the Project|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/f1/91fb3fc781ef28e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm]" in SAP help.

Is there any specific draw back in second method? if yes do we have any supporting documentation from SAP.

Thanks

Shobhan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

H Shoban,

I am not sure if there is any document on this. But following is my observation on this on both the options of building and deploying WebDynpro projects.

Option 1: As far as I know this option is provided when you have DC project. This approach includes dependent objects and other dependent DC given in DC metadata during build.

Advantage: Consistent result and most of the time error are cleared which are introduced due to incorrect and inconsistent public parts dependency(DC Metadata).

Issue: Might take more time/resource as it needs to check and consider all the public parts from dependent DC's (This can be clearly seen in cases where there and many DC dependency)

Option 2: This approach is based on building dynpro eclipse project. It does not takes into account DC meta data. It starts with an assumption dependent object (jars and project reference) are in place ( this is were it could be issue)

Advantage: Might be fast as it does not consider DC metadata.

Issue: Inconsistency in DC metadata and dependency are not detected.

Summary: Difference is because of compilation of DC metadata. if you are modifying single DC and dependency are simple then option 2 can be used. but when multiple project are modified simultaneously which have interdependency, then option 1 is to be used to get consistent results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divya,

Perfect Answer.

Thanks for a detailed explanation.

Regards

Shobhan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sanyev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shobhan,

A Webdynpro DC has two parts. The DC Metadata and the Webdynpro component. The DC Metadata contains DC properties like used DC, Permissions, Public Parts etc... If you are making any changes to the DC metadata then you need to do a DC Build. You can go through [this post|] where I have given an extract from "Inside Webdynpro for Java" by Chris Whealy which talks about Public Parts and DC build.

Deploy new archive and run basically builds your Webdynpro applicaiton and then Deploys the application to the server and then launches the application. This does not take care of the DC Metadata part.

For the first time when you are deploying your DC application you need to do a DC build and Deploy. Once it is done you can do Deploy new archive and Run for the rest of your development till you make changes to the DC Metadata. If there are any changes to the DC Metadata then you have to do a DC Build and Deploy.

Regards,

Sanyev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sanyev,

gr8 answer. I was looking for something like this. However one question. After the 1st build with DC Build. If we only modify the code but not the meta data then also which build is recommended "DC Build" or "Deploy new archive and Run". Because sometimes i observed "Deploy new archive and Run" giving build error.

What do you suggest ?

Thanks

Shobhan

sanyev
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shobhan,

If it a DC project always DC Build and Deploy is recommended. The other one is only for non DC Webdynpro project.

Sanyev