cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of disk space after client copy. Can't start instance.

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've made a client copy and ran out of disk space.

The disk has less than 100 Mb free and I guess this is why I can't start the instance again.

The problem is that now I can't start the instance so I could perform a client deletion.

I am running Win / Ora installation.

Any ideas on what I could do to be able to start my instance? What can I delete from the ORA directory to get free space? Can I delete the redo logs? It is a sandbox and I don't really need them, I guess.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Leonardo,

What do the developer traces indicate the reason for the system not starting is ? Is there anything on the Oracle alert log to indicate why the system won't start ?

If you believe it to be a space problem, can you archive any offline redo logs using brarchive ? Are there any large trace files in the Oracle trace directory ? Is the SAP instance directory on the same disk as Oracle ? If so, you could remove some of the developer trace files if they occupy a lot of space.

I think the best idea would be to find out exactly why the system won't start. I'm sure it should be able to start with 100Mb, unless it's trying to archive a redo log or something like that.

Regards,

Gary

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is the situation:

I have exactly 58 Mb available. Before crashing (out of space) the system was running at 0).

I've tried to move some files around but not much success.

I've tried to run SCC5 to delete the client but the system hanged.

I've stopped the instance and I cannot start it again.

Yes, Oracle and SAP data are on the same disk.

My directory ORAARCH has 72 Gb of data in it. Can I delete it?

The total size of directory SAPTRACE is 25MB.

1 - How can I delete the log to free some space? where are the developer traces stored?

2 - I have something like half a gig on the directories Mirr LOG A and B and Origlog A and B. Can I delete these guys?

The error I get when starting the instance is:

ORA-1033 at con

Thanks for your help so far.

Message was edited by: Leonardo De Araujo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You can see the oracle alert logs in <oracle_home>/saptrace/background . Open the trace file and look for errors and also look for the DB status.

If oracle is not started, start Oracle and start sap instance.

Thanks

prince jose

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am trying to start the SAP instance.

I've just moved some of the files in the ORAARCH to another drive and I was able to free up 1 GB.

I still cannot start the instance.

This is what I have on SAPSTART trace:

Starting at 2006/03/16 12:36:48

Startup Profile: "G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\profile\START_DVEBMGS00_SERVER2"

Starting Programs

(2712) Execute: G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\exe\run\strdbs.cmd IDS

(316) CreateProcess: G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\exe\run\msg_server.exe pf=G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\profile\IDS_DVEBMGS00_SERVER2

(1844) CreateProcess: G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\exe\run\disp+work.exe pf=G:\usr\sap\IDS\SYS\profile\IDS_DVEBMGS00_SERVER2

(1332) CreateProcess: G:\usr\sap\IDS\DVEBMGS00\igs\bin\igswd.exe -dir=G:\usr\sap\IDS\DVEBMGS00\igs -mode=all -sysname=IDS -sysno=00

SERVER2\idsadm is stopping R/3 System at 2006/03/16 12:42:32

(1892) Parent Shutdown at 2006/03/16 12:42:32

(1892) kill(1844) failed.

DEVRFC.TRC>>>

>TS> Thu Mar 16 12:42:01 2006

T:2024 ======> Connect to SAP gateway failed

Connect_PM TPNAME=IGS.IDS, GWHOST=SERVER2, GWSERV=3300

ERROR partner not reached (host SERVER2, service 3300)

TIME Thu Mar 16 12:42:01 2006

RELEASE 640

COMPONENT NI (network interface)

VERSION 37

RC -10

MODULE nixxi_r.cpp

LINE 8593

DETAIL NiPConnect2

SYSTEM CALL SiPeekPendConn

ERRNO 10061

ERRNO TEXT WSAECONNREFUSED: Connection refused

COUNTER 7

I am shutting down the machine and restarting it...

LeonardoAraujo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK. With these 1GB of extra disk space and a server reboot, SAP starts.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Last question: Can I safely remove all those .001 files from ORAARCH? It is about 70GB!!!

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Leonardo

i delete the files with extension .<b>001 in the ORAARCH</b> directory periodically. i actually run a desktop server with a total hard drive space of 25GB for full instllation. i've not had any problems...

i guess its a safe bet to remove all <b>.001</b> files in ORAARCH directory. the rest of the files stays as such...

actually, these are Oracle Log files which are archived in this directory..

Regards

arun

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Leonardo,

You can't delete the ORIG or MIRR log files. These are the online redo logs that Oracle needs for operation.

The SAP developer trace files are held in the following directory on the sapmnt share: <sid>\DVEBMGSnn\work.

What is the status of the database ? Is it trying to start up or shut down ? What does the Oracle alert log say ? There should be something in there to indicate the status and problem.

Regards,

Gary