cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication for WebDynPro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am not sure this question goes in WebASGeneral or Webdynpro. Anyways...

Here's my landscape: Web Application Server (J2EE Engine) 6.40 sp11, R/3 and no enterprise portal. We are trying to develop a WebDynPro application that would be used by external clients. We are not presenting this application via Portal. My question is regarding authentication options.

I know that while creating JCO destinations in Content Administrator, I can choose 1) username/pwd 2) Ticket - Logon Ticket 3) SNC.

I know that #1 is for META data and #3 doesn't apply in my case as I am using a browser as front-end. So, I think #2, which is Ticket is the option for me for my application data.

Here's my understanding of #2: My WebDynPro has authentication check box ticked and the client uses browser to invoke the application, which then takes to the Login page and user uses lets say, USER1/pwd to login. If authenticated by WebAS, s/he would get a tickets (cookie) from the WebAS. Since my application uses Adaptive RFC, the client would be able to access R/3 data by calling BAPIs or RFMs via WebDynPro. I am thinking, I need to do a configuration on R/3 side to accept logon ticket issued by WebAS using STRUST.

My questions are:

A) Is my understanding correct?

B) Any deviations from the above possible?

C) Do I need to have a user on WebAS with identical user on R/3 ?

D) I am thinking, since I am not using Portal, I can not do user mapping. So I need to have same userid in both WebAS and R3, correct?

E) Is there an automated way of creating users in WebAS identical to the ones in R3?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

you're right. The userids have to be the same on the WebDynpro WAS and the Backend.

and "Ticket" would be the correct connection type.

You can "Import" Userdata in your WebDynpro WAS (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/52/96f03eae11e16be10000000a114084/frameset.htm)

or in short form:

A) yes

B) not in my understanding

C) yes

D) yes (what's the difference to C)?

E) see link above

kr, achim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.) Is it possible to use WD without portal? Have you checked that?

2.) I am not sure if user mapping is only possible in portal environment. Maybe the user mapping is handled by UME which is part of WebAS.

However I am not sure at all.

Regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

1) Yes, WebDynPro without portal is a possibility.

2) User mapping is only possible in Portal environment. I am still waiting on somebody to say that it's possible without Portal.

Thanks,

Kiran