Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.6C Unicode Conversion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planing to upgrade 4.6C to ECC 6.0. What is the best strategy for Unicode conversion that is before/after upgrade? We know 4.6C is very lower version. We think 4.6C has no latest Unicode conversion tools like 4.7E. We

Appreciate your help

Thanks,

Kris

12 REPLIES 12

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The conversion tools have been downported to 4.6c - SPUM4 is the same as SPUMG in 4.7ff.

The conversion itself - the export -is done after the upgrade to ERP 6.0 so you can use the latest available tools.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thanks for your reply. Should I run all unicode preparation checks before or after upgrade?

Appreciate your help

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos

Before.

Check the combined Upgrade & Unicode Conversion guide at

http://service.sap.com/unicode

Markus

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

the CU&UC Guide can be found in:

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000687730&;

---> this is in the area of

http://service.sap.com/unicode@sap

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

SAP AG

0 Kudos

Hi Nils,

thank you for correcting.

I always wondered why there is "/unicode" and "/unicode@sap" - whereas the first one would be much more obvious.

Markus

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

the alias /unicode is rather focussing on best practices, customer examples .... etc. (globalization area) whereas /unicode@sap contains the technical description of the conversion (I18N Netweaver area).

There are historical reasons for the separation.

/unicode@sap is now directing customers to the SDN site.

Nils

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus and Nils,

Thanks for your information. But we have 4.6C with only EN i.e., Single Code Page. Can I use CU&UC for SCP systems?

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos

From the [CU&UC Guide|http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000687730&_OBJECT=011000358700000442052008E]:

"...This document is valid for Single Code Page systems, MDMP systems..."

Rgds, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for all your information. If we use CU&UC method we have to maintain a separate 610 based system to make ABAP programs unicode compatible as part of preunicode checks. As our system is 46C based.

Is there anyway we can use other approach which doesn't need seperate 610 based system like upgrade first to ECC 6.0, then preunicode checks and unicode conversion?

Thanks,

Kris

0 Kudos

> Is there anyway we can use other approach which doesn't need seperate 610 based system like upgrade first to ECC 6.0, then preunicode checks and unicode conversion?

If your system is a single codepage system you can do that in two steps - yes. First do the upgrade to ERP 6.0 non-Unicode, then do the preparation and then use a second weekend to convert to Unicode.

Markus

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

technically you can also do the upgrade and the Unicode conversion on the DEV system and do the ABAP Unicode enabling afterwards (same approach as with upgrade adaptations). In that case you do not need an SBX system for the Unicode enabling.

However if you have a larger PRD system and your downtime window is restricted, I would recommend to test the downtime of the procedure in an SBX system (copy of PRD).

This way you avoid surprises during PRD conversion.

Best regards,

Nils

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kris,

There is no doubt that you can run your system for ECC6 non-Unicode but as we know todayu2019s business are virtual means all transactions done on web or internet. After some time you will fill your system should support web enabled features which can be get by JAVA only. And JAVA is Unicode compatible language so it can support any language available in this word. So at that time you system should be Unicode compatible so it can support JAVA. A Unicode compatible SAP System can also compatible for Enterprise portal & other Netweaver components .So, It would be much easier & fruitful if you do both upgraded and Unicode conversion at the same time

And one more thing you won't get support for Non Unicode SAP system as far as JAVA is concern. SAP deprecated Java systems connecting to non-Unicode backend systems.

If any issues regarding the same then let me know

Regards

Raj