cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to copy a DC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure whether the question should be how to copy a DC or how to copy a Web Dynpro DC project, you be the judge of that.

We are working on NW'04 SP 12 and have a JDI (NWDI) in place with 3 NWDS developer workstations. One SC, one track and about 30 DCs.

One of the DCs has to be copied & renamed 7 times. How to do exactly that? We have created the 7 new Web Dynpro DC projects, now we have to copy the contents from the source Web Dynpro DC project to these new Web Dynpro DC projects.

Please don't suggest public parts and creating a general DC for common parts, it isn't applicable to our scenario. The migration method described in the documentation won't do either because the name of the Web Dynpro DC project (and the DC itself) will have to change.

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I believe this <a href="/people/helmut.tammen2/blog/2006/01/30/how-to-migrate-a-dc-to-a-new-sc weblog</a> covers what you need

I actaully have the opposit question...

Can you please refer me to the documentation that exaplains how to migrate / import / export a DC from one SC into another one? (both SCs are in the same track)

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

'Create New DC' in the required track and if the Webdynpro DC's are of the same name you can copy the '_comp' folder under the webdynpro DC.

ones you do this, you will have to 'Reload + Rebuild' the DC in the NWDS.

Regards,

Divakar

SamuliKaski
Active Participant
0 Kudos

As I wrote in my original post the name of the new DC is different from the source DC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i think i missed that part, incase the names are different, follow the steps

1. open the '.dcdef' under '/<DC>/_comp' folder.

2. Under <Development Component ...><name>dcname</name>

find the name of the source component.

3. replace it with the new DC name.

4. In the 'Java perpective' refresh the component or take a 'Reload + Rebuild' option in WD Perspective.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Divakar

SamuliKaski
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The procedure you suggest doesn't rename references to the source DC. I tested it and I now see references to both DCs. Models, controllers and applications all have references to the source DC. Activities in DTR refer to the source DC, very bad. An attempt to rename anything will result in a conflict between the local version and the version in DTR. That doesn't seem the right way to do it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samuli,

Once you have created the empty DC, you can "copy and paste" each of the components within NWDS. It will take some time to repeat the copies 7 times, but it will work and make sure all the references are correct.

HTH,

Jonathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

DTR mapped to the physical files in the local machine (ones you checkout the component).

can you please help me understand the references between components that you are refering to.

Regards,

Divakar

SamuliKaski
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Manual copy-pasting is the last option since not everything in a Web Dynpro DC project can be copy-pasted and the DC in question is quite big (~50 models).

SamuliKaski
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Divakar: the problem is if the source DC is named sourceDC and the target DC is named targetDC after the procedure you suggested I have physical files named sourceDC in the target DC. For example models, views and windows are all named the way they are named in the source DC. I know what you suggested and it works as a backup/restore or force sync into DTR as long as the names stay the same, which is not the case here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you want to have the same component 7(assuming they are to perform the same functionality) times, then you will to copy paste the DC and rename it to meet the requirement.

If you want the components in differnt names (for views/controllers/window) then you will have to recreate each component individually.

Regards,

S.Divakar