cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing MI Client 7.0 on a storage card

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is it possible to install the client on a storage card an if so could anyone please direct me as to the additional setting changes that I need to make.

Tried it but it does not seem to find the sync url but when I install it on the device itself it works. Unfortunately not enough storage space on the device.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

After entering the logon details I get the message "Cannot Connect" Cannot connect with the current connection settings. To change your connection settings tap settings.

Marthinus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your very valuable input.

Apologies - I was away for a couple of weeks on vacation thus the late response. The main reason for the storage card question was because I am doing a proof of concept and had a PDA but not enough storage unless I did the installation on a storage card. We did not want to go and buy a device specially for the occasion.

In order to do a quick demo of the screens and functionality I wanted to be able to show how it would look on a device. (Just wow effect). It is installed on my laptop for demo purposes but as you know people want to see a device. The client is currently looking at devices that has the correct requirements so we will not have this problem when we go live.

I did find a HP Pocket PC that I could install it and it works great except that it needs to be connected all the time. Running version 7.0 and created the cab installation via cab builder. How can I run this application without being connected? Obviously you have to be connected to sync but after that .... is there a parameter I need to set?

Thank you all for your exellent feedback.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marthinus,

As you have mentioned you need to be connected only for sync, MI and the application should work offline. Can you let us know what kind of error you get when you use MI offline?

Best Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it is possible to run MI on storage cards - but it depends on what version of MI you use, what type of card you have and if you are willing to accept some performance issues.

First of all, you can install MI on storage cards. This is fine. JSP version of MI has auto start implemented, so whenever you restart the PDA, MI gets started as well. Problem here: if you have SD cards and even sometimes CF cards, these are not initialized in the moment, the PDA processes the AUTOSTART folder and tries to start MI - so he can not find MI and so the start will not work.

Well, that is the most problematic issue in this scenario - if you can life with it - the rest is okay.

On AWT version it is a little different and so it should not cause issues for you.

Performance is one thing, but it depends on you SD cards and hardware, so this needs carefull testing.

Hope that helps!

Reagrds,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Marthinus,

Did you refer to the following link?

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/d4/930041e9c5f06fe10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Please mark the question as answered if my post solved your question.

Regards,

Veera

Edit: Yes, it is possible to install on Storage Cards.

Edited by: Veeraraagavan R on Feb 6, 2009 8:48 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera, Marthinus,

MI will work only on Compact Flash cards(CF cards) and not SD cards. I think most PDAs have SD cards these days. Unfortunately MI does not work well with SD cards and are not officially supported.

Best Regards,

Karthik Setty

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

plz refer this link which is specific to a storage card

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.07.mobile.aspx

Regards

Manohar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Karthik,

It is totally possible to use Storage cards, as long as you point your files properly to the JVM. I dont know why SAP has mentioned that you can run only on CF card. In fact if you follow the process in the note 980082 and the link above relatively for any Windows Mobile supported external storage, including SD or SDHC (with names as Storage Card or SD Card), you can install it to any storage card.

If you want to work around the auto start problem, when using an external storage medium, move the Mobile Engine or MI Server shortcut from \Windows\Startup to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs to manually initiate the starting of MI Client. This ensures that you start the MI Engine without the occasional issue wherein the automatic startup shortcut is not able to find the external storage file. This is because of the delayed recognition of external storage in Windows Mobile Operating System.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera,

We have seen a lot of issues with the JSP client and SD cards, in some instances the application or patch does not get deployed or extracted when it is downloaded to a SD card.

This is the reason SAP does not support a SD card. The same problems do not occur on a CF card. I feel it will be dangerous for a customer to implement the solution on a SD card and lose support from SAP.

Best Regards,

Karthik Setty

Mobile Consultant

[www.energy4u.org |http://www.energy4u.org ]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Karthik,

I understand your experience, and I am not here to challenge it. But I would like to requote some words from my previous post and clear the air taking off from there.

It is totally possible to use Storage cards, as long as you point your files properly to the JVM

By JVM, here, I mean CrEme. And, the MI Client installer (MICI.jar) used for addons (patches), is dependant on the install.xml file and the update property files. If, the install.xml is edited to contain the proper path, it should be possible for installation on the storage card. As a matter of fact even the initial install onto a different storage medium has to be done after editing some paths reflecting the storage card/medium. Therefore it is not a question of SAP Support, but about customizing it to our environment.

Regards,

Veera

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Veera,

I guess you did not understand the point I was trying to make, for clarity I will try to explain it again.

SAP "ONLY" supports installation of MI on CF cards and "NOT" SD cards.

It does not matter if it works on SD cards or not, it is not supported.

If Marthinus is trying to install MI on an SD card, my advice to him would be not to do so as it is unsupported by SAP, any message raised by him will not be investigated by SAP as it is on an SD card.

I guess we can put this topic to rest till Marthinus comes back with more details about his problem.

Best Regards,

Karthik Setty

Mobile Consultant

[www.energy4u.org|www.energy4u.org]